Chapter 1

Despite being the vice-captain of one of the powerhouse teams in Japan, volleyball was not his first sport.

In fact, it was his third.

"Mom... he's only three."

"He'll learn!" The old woman shouted at her daughter without even looking at the woman, eyes paying attention to the wooden chessboard in front of her while she knelt down on one side. "Besides, he seems a bit smart for his age."

The old woman's eyes moved to the child on the other side of the chessboard, staring at the black and white pieces with a small interest. The old woman's daughter rolled her eyes and went over to the front door to put on her shoes.

"I'm off then, make sure he gets to bed early!"

"I know how to raise a child!"

"Like playing chess with a three-year-old is a great idea..."

"I heard that!"

The younger woman shook her head and exited the household, leaving the grandmother and child alone.

"Now," the old woman clapped her hands together. "I'll teach you how each piece moves and the rules, then we're gonna play a game. Alright?"

The three-year-old let out a nod while playing with one of the pieces he found interesting. "What does the castle do?"

"It's called a rook in chess," his grandmother corrected. "No one really uses the term castle anymore."

"What does the rook do?" The three-year-old corrected himself.

"The rook moves along any ranks or files... which is to say in any straight line that isn't diagonal."

The little boy furrowed his eyebrows while forming a small pout. "Castles don't move..."

The grandmother let out a small laugh since the kidd said it with a lot of sincerity. "Of course castles don't move, but in chess they do."

"Shouldn't we be playing shogi or something? Kaa-chan says that no one really plays chess here."

"Damn woman..." His grandmother muttered before letting out a small string of curses. "Chess is much more simple than shogi. There's a lot of differences between the two... Though that's probably another discussion for another time."

"Are you gonna teach me how to play shogi too?"

"Of course!" the grandmother huffed. "Everyone in the family should know how to play shogi! I would have never let your father marry your mother if he couldn't beat me in at least one game!"

"I thought Tou-chan never won against you?" the boy asked while tilting his head. He remembered the stories of his father when he met his mom and how his grandmother practically drilled the rules of shogi into his head once she found out the man didn't know how to play.

"He didn't. Your mother took his place and beat me into the ground..." His grandmother sighed letting a short silence waft through the room before returning her attention to the boy in front of her and giving him a small smile. "How about I explain the rules and pieces, then you can ask questions later. Ok?"

The boy returned the old woman's smile and gave her a nod as she proceeded to enumerate the rules of the game and the role of each piece.

[Last Name] [Name] was the name of the little boy attentively paying attention to his grandmother. Raised in the Fukuoka Prefecture, he and his family lived with his grandmother while his father occasionally came and went for jobs abroad while his mother did her job around the city and, occasionally, out of town.