Chapter 9

Some days were just weird.

[Name] argued that everyday was a weird day. Weird was just a mean way of calling something unnatural or something that was difficult to understand, like math, bad jokes, or why you'd always forget your dreams the moment you wake up.

Based on that definition, [Name] definitely fell under the category of weird.

It started when the trio had gone to the nearby gym to watch an actual volleyball game. Atsumu was definitely more excited to see it than Osamu and [Name] since he would not shut up the entire walk there.

"Woah!" Atsumu stared in awe as the team did a synchronized attack, the setter tossing the ball to someone from the back row. "Did ya see that?!"

The trio was currently situated on the sidelines sitting against the wall, watching the game from a distance deemed safe by many of the older people there.

Osamu let out a small grumble about his brother being too loud while [Name] chuckled at Atsumu's enthusiasm, the shorter boy situating himself in the middle of the twins.

"Yes 'Tsumu, we saw," [Name] replied while patting his back as he went back to watching the game.

He had to admit that watching an actual game in real life was better than watching one on TV. From there, he could actually see what was going on with the team and hear their callouts. But there was something about watching the game from up-close that made it so... different. Nonetheless, he watched the game while paying attention to their plays while Atsumu and Osamu gave their own commentary on how the game was played.

"Hey [Name], I'm the cooler setter though, right?" Atsumu asked while giving the other boy a glance.

"The coolest," [Name] said, eyes not leaving the court. Osamu snorted at his answer which prompted a whine from Atsumu as the two bickered before keeping to themselves on either side of [Name].

Another thing [Name] learned was not to get in the middle of the twin's arguments. They simply had this weird tendency to get into scuffles with each other and somehow immediately go back to normal without apologizing.

He never had a sibling so he couldn't really relate.

Back to the game, both teams seemed to be in an intense rally, neither team wanting to give up the point. One of the middle blockers jumped up the side of the net and spiked the ball down to the other side of the court, only for the libero to do a receive followed by a rolling dive. The ball flew straight into the air towards the setter as their spiker jumped up, ready to spike the ball.

[Name] watched the setter's form which was as perfect as one could get. Everything about the situation seemed like the perfect opportunity to toss the ball. Yet [Name] glanced at the setter's eyes, the player giving a quick glance at the other side of the court that went unnoticed to everyone except him.

"Dump," [Name] said aloud.

As if on cue, the setter dumped the ball to the side of the court where the libero couldn't get it in time, winning the rally. [Name] suddenly felt a wave of emotions after calling out the play. It was the same feeling he'd get whenever he played shogi, yet he didn't think much about it as his thoughts were interrupted by a voice.

"How'd ya do that?"

[Name] turned to see Atsumu staring at him with wide eyes.