Chapter 38

The Ichibayashi High volleyball team.

Known for being the underdogs who managed to reach the top three in the country, beating powerhouse schools with their defense strategies that make other teams dance in the palm of their hands. On the court they can be as intimidating as a dark forest, constantly looming over those–

"Dai, please stop picking your carrots from the curry."

"But boss!" Dai whined before looking down at his meal with a pout. "I hate carrots!"

"You say that about every vegetable," [Name] sighed and placed his elbows on the table while pinching the bridge of his nose. "And can you stop calling me that? I kinda, slightly understand the nickname on the court but we're literally just having lunch right now."

"I'll stop calling you that if you don't let me eat the carrots."

"No."

"Boss~!" Dai whined placing his cheek on the table right beside his plate of curry and rice.

[Name] let out another sigh as Iwao let out a soft chuckle before continuing on with his meal, their first years having their own conversations right beside them.

After their third win in a row—this time against Ubagawa—the head coaches called for a lunch break and invited Ichibayashi to join them which resulted in the six members taking up one table and the dilemma that [Name] is currently facing involving his ace. "You need to start setting a good example for the first years, Dai."

Dai simply snorted at the statement before straightening up. "The first years are already smart enough to know what to do and not to do."

"The farmers worked hard to grow those carrots, y'know," [Name] said.

"And the farmers already got paid for these carrots so it's no harm, no foul," Dai retorted.

[Name] let out an annoyed rumble from the back of his throat. "There are people who can barely eat one meal a day because they can't afford it."

"C'mon man..." Dai pouted even more. "I already help my mom with her community outreach stuff, plus I don't think me eating my carrots is gonna help end world hunger."

[Name] stared at him and let out a huff before going back to his food. "Taicho would be so much better at this."

"And Kazuo isn't here," Dai replied with a triumphant look on his face before his attention went to remove his carrots. "Plus, with Kazu, it always feels like he's gonna cry if you don't do what he asks."

"True," Iwao agreed while nodding.

"Ok, let's change topic before you give the first years a bad impression of Taicho." [Name] paused trying to think of a change in topic. "Isn't there gonna be a concert in Saitama this August?"

"AKB48."

"Eh?" [Name] turned to the quiet voice to see Yori looking at him with a slight sparkle in his eyes. "Oh, you a fan of that group too?"

"Isn't that the idol group that Tatsu's always talking about?" Iwao asked aloud prompting a nod from Dai.

"Yeah, he has a dedicated playlist to most of their songs... I also think he goes to their meet and greets if they're in Fukuoka."