Chapter 6

It hasn't even been a week in Hyogo and [Name] somehow already picked up Kansai dialect.

When his parents said to 'make some friends at the nearby park' they probably weren't expecting their seven-year-old child to make friends with the elderly who played shogi from morning to afternoon almost everyday. Then again, they should've expected it.

There they were, the entire [Last Name] family having dinner together in their new house. [Name] would call it a home but it didn't really feel that way yet.

"So, how'd your day go bud?" his dad asked.

"Fine," [Name] shrugged. "Got one of the old ladies at the park mad 'cause she thought I was cheatin' in shogi. Also saw a cat out on our lawn this mornin'. Maybe we can keep her? She doesn't look like she's leavin' anytime soon."

"Really?" his father looked at his mother with an amused smile on his face. "Maybe you've been spending a bit too much time with those old people in the park."

"Why's that?" [Name] tilted his head, genuinely confused to know the reason. His dad was about to speak when he was stopped by a look his wife gave him.

"So, how was school?" His mother turned to him with a smile.

School was... hard.

It was hard not because he had to catch up on the lessons but the fact that he moved right in the middle of the school year meant that everyone already had their own friend groups. There wasn't any Bokuto to bother him or bring him around during recess or lunch so he spent most of the time in the library, reading whatever books he could get his hands on and occasionally doodling in his notebook about the usual.

Sometimes he liked being alone, it gave him peace and quiet and left him with his thoughts. Other times he hated it for the very same reasons. There was only so much peace and quiet that a person could take. That was the line between solitude and loneliness.

Most days he was treading on that line.

"Still don't like it but it's fine," [Name] said with a shrug. "I managed to catch up to all the lessons, and I think I'm classmates with twins. They're really noisy."

"Siblings are usually like that," his dad said. "I remember that time me and my sister would always get into a scuffle..."

[Name] began zoning out and letting his body go on autopilot, mindlessly eating his food while his father's story went in one ear and out the other. It was easier to just pretend that everything was fine because maybe if he pretended hard enough it would come true. He didn't want to worry his parents about anything since they had their own busy lives.

He could deal with this.

"Are you friends?"

"Hm?" [Name] looked up from his food to face his mom. "With who?"

"The twins," his mother clarified.

"Do twins really share a special psychic connection? I read about that you know," his father added to the conversation.

"I don't think that's true." His mother shook her head. "What I do know is that they share difficulties with self-consciousness and struggle in most social aspects."

"Honey, I thought we agreed no more psychoanalysis at the dinner table," his father said with a small pout. "But I do admit that's very interesting."

"It is! There actually needs to be more studies on the psychological effects on being twins because..."

[Name] started zoning out again since he wasn't really in the mood to listen to one of his mother's rants about the lack of knowledge and literature within certain aspects of psychology.