Chapter 36

Ichibayashi High. A school located in the Fukuoka Prefecture, recently becoming the hot topic of Interhigh and a team to look forward to at nationals. On paper, they were a team that took a more defensive approach when dealing with their opponents; drawing out the match until finding the right moment to counterattack their strategies.

Yet the sight in front of the gymnasium was not that of a defensive team.

"I got it!" Dai ran up to the left side of the net and jumped up, reeling back his left arm as Hiro set the ball towards him. Three of Shinzen's middle blockers jumped up in an attempt to stop the spike, yet Dai simply smiled as he slammed the ball into one of the middle blocker's hands and sent the ball to the side of the court, landing out of bounds. A wipe.

17 - 8

A whistle sounded through the gym as Dai landed on the wooden court, slightly bending his knees before spinning around and sending finger guns to the setter. "Let's go, Hiro! Send me more awesome sets my way!"

"Er..." Hiro–with slight reluctance–returned the finger guns with a small nervous smile. "I'll try my best, senpai."

"Come on, man! Where's the energ–"

"Dai, please stop making Hiro-kun nervous." The duo turned to none other than their libero, who stood straight and placed one hand on his hip. "You know how he gets with sudden compliments."

"Whoops. My B," Dai said while letting out a chuckle as the libero shook his head and simply got back into position. Meanwhile, a certain team of cats was watching the game with excitement and nervousness. The latter because they were the next team to be playing against them.

Their eyes darted between the players and the sides of the court as they did their best to analyze the team's strategies, yet there didn't seem to be any pattern to their plays.

"They're um..." Kai slightly scratched his head, glancing at the scoreboard. "A bit aggressive for a defensive team, aren't they?"

"Aggressive seems like an understatement." Yaku pouted before glancing at Iwao, who was getting ready to serve the ball.

Iwao held the ball in between his hands as he lazily looked ahead at the court, glancing at [Name] who signaled the number four to him with his hand behind his back. The sound of the whistle rang through the gym as Iwao delivered a very normal serve to the other side of the court, specifically toward their middle blocker, Chigaya. Though, instead of his receiving it, their libero received the serve as the rally began.

Yaku let out a contemplative hum and squinted his eyes before sighing and scratching his head. "They're gonna reach twenty points before I even figure out what those callouts mean."

"It's a good serve though," Kai pointed out before placing his finger on his chin and looking at Shinzen. "He served the ball to an area which limited their movement, meaning they'd have a hard time doing a synchronized attack."

"Not that it matters," Yaku snorted.

Shinzen's setter prepared to set the ball as three players ran up the net with two in the front row and one in the back. Iwao and Yori stood on the opposite side of the net, ready to run to where the ball was gonna set. Yori looked at the player on the left side of the net before feeling a soft tug on his shirt from the person beside him.