Chapter 21

[Name] learned a very fun fact when he was younger involving a terrible experiment with a dash of chili pepper and some mints. Apparently, the pain receptors for what is spicy and what is minty are two different things which meant it was somehow possible to experience cold and hot at the same time.

Thinking about it, there was probably something similar involving stress and relief because those were the two things he felt when he watched the ball fall on Itachiyama's side of the court, sending the match into overtime for the second set.

24 - 24

The sound of the whistle rang through the air followed by another, signaling a timeout. Whether that was from their side of the opponent's, [Name] did not care as he simply walked to the bench while breathing heavily.

"God," [Name] groaned and drawled out, "why couldn't one of the first years be a libero? Was that too much to ask?"

As much as he was glad to continue the game, he was sweaty, tired, and wanted to go home, the only reason he still wanted to play was that they still had a chance and he refused to let Itachiyama get this damn win.

[Name] sat down on the bench and placed his elbows on his knees with his hands clasped together against his mouth as his brain went to taking into account the possibilities of the next rotation. Nothing like a little adrenaline rush to help process everything.

Sakusa was an annoying bastard.

Not that the libero had anything against him but the fact that the spin of his spikes was too much to account for. It was simply an unpredictable factor that [Name] had to take into account before every receive because even the slightest mistake could send the ball out of bounds. Luckily, that level of unpredictability was getting lower with every successful receive. That didn't change the fact that it was still pretty difficult though.

It wasn't just Sakusa that was annoying. Itachiyama was as great on defense as they were on offense, primarily because of their libero.

As expected of the team expected to win, [Name] thought before shrugging the thought off.

The referee's whistle rang through the air as the players went back on the court, [Name] standing up and stretching his arms before jogging toward his teammates.

The rally began to start with Itachiyama's serve as [Name] managed to bump the ball to Kazuo for an easy set. As Tatsuya and Dai jumped on either side of the court, Kazuo set the ball to the middle blocker as he attempted to spike the ball down. Unfortunately, Komori managed to get a read and save the ball at the last second, sending the ball to their setter.

Iizuna set the ball towards Sakusa who was ready to fight the three middle blockers in his way. [Name] tried diving to the middle blockers' side but it was too late as Sakusa performed a successful wipe, [Name] barely missing the ball. The libero let out a tsk while laying flat on the ground before looking up to see Sakusa staring at him.

[Name] wanted to punch that face before poking his eyes and the two moles on the side of his forehead.

The whistle rang through the air as [Name] simply got up and went back to his position, Itachiyama's serve again.

[Name] bumped the ball as Kazuo attempted to do a dump, yet Komori saved the ball again and bumped it to their setter who set the ball towards their ace. As soon as Sakusa jumped and the ball was set to him, [Name]'s head went into overdrive as he immediately knew what was going to happen. The libero immediately turned around and ran past the edge of the court, probably confusing everyone who was looking at him. Yet as soon as Sakusa spiked, Iwao managed to get in a one-touch that sent the ball flying outside the court.