Chapter 5

[Name] was six when he learned the most important lesson of all.

School sucked.

It wasn't the fact that school forced him to learn things that he kinda thought was useless or forced him to interact with other kids more often. His parents made sure to teach him what he needed to know and basic manners. It's the fact that school lasted for most of the day and took away his free time which could be used for more important things like shogi, chess, or even volleyball if he was feeling a bit more energetic.

It didn't come to him as a surprise that he was enrolled at the same elementary school Bokuto was in. Bokuto practically ate his brain with a spoon with how excited he was and how he was going to be a great senpai.

It's only been a week of school and [Name] hated it with a burning passion. Interacting with other kids wasn't too hard, but it made him tired and the phrases, 'Really?' and 'Tell me more!' didn't always apply to every situation.

He also learned that teachers won't call you out for not listening if you were quiet and answered their questions during the first ten minutes of class. So he spent most of his time staring at the window daydreaming about shogi strategies in his head. Other than that, school was just going to be another task in his routine that he had to get used to.

Today, [Name] sat quietly at his desk while the teacher went on about numbers and basic operations. While it may have looked like he was taking notes, he was actually playing shogi. More specifically tsume shogi, which was basically a miniature puzzle where you had to figure out how to checkmate the king in the least amount of moves possible, with all moves done by the attacking side resulting in a check.

A few of his classmates asked about it before when they noticed the doodles on his notebook but surprise, surprise! Most five-year-olds don't really have the patience to learn a complicated game when they could just be playing at the playground. Didn't really bother him though, it just meant more peace and quiet to himself.

Most of the time.

As the bell rang to signal the start of recess, he immediately prepared for what was to come next.

"[Name]-kun!"

The door immediately slid open revealing Bokuto with his usual happy-go-lucky smile as he went over to his friend's desk. No one really minded it considering he's been doing that for the past week, and everyone in the school knew how energetic and loud the grey-haired boy was.

"Kou-nii," [Name] greeted him with a small smile.

"You wanna have recess together?" Bokuto excitedly asked as he was practically jumping in place with both his hands on [Name]'s desk.

"Sure," [Name] simply said making the energetic boy even more energetic. [Name] hopped off his desk as he began following Bokuto to the cafeteria as Bokuto began to relay every single event in his life after they had separated from each other when they went to their respective classes. [Name] didn't really talk as much so he was glad that Bokuto didn't mind carrying the conversation.

"So [Name]-kun, have you decided what club you're gonna join? There isn't a shogi club for you to join."

[Name] scratched his head while thinking about it. "Not really... I wish there was," he sighed. "What club are you in Kou-nii?"

"Volleyball club!" Bokuto replied eagerly. [Name] should've guessed that that would be his club.

"You should join! You can be my setter!"

He also should've guessed that Bokuto would offer him that.

"Eh..." [Name] looked to the side. "I already play volleyball with you everyday... plus everyone in the volleyball club seems scary."