Chapter 34

The night sky of Tokyo was rarely a sight to behold given the number of infrastructures that prevented it. As [Name] looked up at the starry sky, it was moments like those that made him appreciate the sight even more. Plus he appreciated the quiet once gym three started practicing with the Karasuno's sun and moon. At least, that's how he looked at Hinata and Tsukishima considering they seemed like polar opposites.

He took a deep breath before letting out a long exhale and walked towards his new destination to check out one certain Karasuno setter practicing on his own. The sound of his shoes rubbing against the concrete while the wind gently blew in his face under the covered walk.

[Name] was glad Hinata was basically adopted by Bokuto considering they seemed so similar which meant he blended with the group so well. He was just slightly worried when he heard Kageyama was off practicing on his own without anyone else. Memories of Dai practicing his serves til he dropped were one of the reasons he usually stayed behind while the rest of the team went off to make sure he didn't overwork himself – or go crazy.

He approached the entrance of the gym door and peeked inside to see Kageyama standing parallel to the net with some plastic bottles lined up while Yachi was tossing him the balls to practice sets. He leaned against the side of the door and observed the two before interfering.

Yachi tossed the ball to Kageyama as the setter pinpointed all his attention to the ball soaring towards him. As soon as his fingers touched the ball he sent it slightly above the net, yet instead of the ball continuing its course, its momentum seemed to stop as it fell to the ground, barely missing the plastic bottle.

This first year was truly a force to be reckoned with.

Kageyama let out a tsk before his eyes gazed over to the entrance of the gym where [Name] gave him a small wave.

"Ah... [Name]-senpai."

[Name] gave him a smile before stepping into the gym and approaching the setter while glancing at Yachi. As he got closer, he noticed Kageyama working up a sweat while Yachi seemed to be slightly perspiring.

"Yo, Yachi-kun," [Name] called her while giving her a small smile. "How 'bout you help out the other managers while I stay here and help him with his sets? You seem like you could also use a break."

"Er..." Yachi glanced at Kageyama who simply shrugged his shoulders. "Are you sure?"

"Positive. It isn't the first time I've helped out with somebody's setting practice."

"Alright then..." Yachi gave them both a bow before jogging over to the entrance of the gym and leaving. [Name] glanced at the exit before heading over to grab the volleyball and holding it in between the palms of his hands.

"You should take a quick break too, Kageyama-kun," [Name] said without turning around. "Wouldn't want you overworking yourself."

He heard Kageyama grunt at the proposal but nonetheless the first year turned to head to the nearby bench where a towel and his water bottle rested.

[Name] remembered the first day of training camp as he watched him attempt to do the 'falling toss' as Ukai called it. It was an interesting concept and one that would throw the setter to new heights once he perfected the technique. For now, though, all [Name] could do was watch him grow and support him rn the best of his abilities.