Chapter 29

Another day has passed for the volleyball team of Karasuno High with at least four of their recent practices having been participated in by their latest guest.

Nishinoya was glad his team liked [Name] because if they didn't... well, there were gonna be problems. Luckily, [Name] was a very likable person, helping out the managers in their tasks and practicing with the team from doing simple sets to receiving serves and spikes. Now, he was currently talking to Ukai about a few plans and ideas while Nishinoya watched the two interact, wondering what they were talking about.

"You know..." Asahi said aloud catching Nishinoya's attention. "I honestly thought he wasn't real."

"Eh?" Nishinoya gave him a confused look.

"I mean before we actually met him. The way you described him didn't seem... real."

"What? How?"

"I think what he means is that he didn't think the mysterious ghost boy wearing a fox mask wasn't real," Tanaka joined in. "But don't worry bro, I believed in you a hundred percent."

"Thanks, bro," Nishinoya replied before a thought occurred to him. "Wait. Is that why you didn't wanna visit me whenever I went to gramps' house?"

Tanaka simply shrugged at the statement. Nishinoya scratched his chin trying to remember the times [Name] came up in conversation but all he could remember was the majority of those times being, 'Haha check out this meme my friend sent.'

"Yeah, well..." Nishinoya sighed at the statement. "He was really busy in Fukuoka so I couldn't introduce him earlier. Honestly, I'm just surprised with how much he changed."

"Changed how?"

"He was more relaxed before," Nishinoya said as he looked at the boy talking with Ukai while the coach pointed at a whiteboard with drawings of strategies on it. "I don't think anyone notices it but he's more... serious."

Asahi looked at him before looking at [Name] who was staring at the whiteboard with half-lidded eyes before letting out a small yawn.

"Uh... he seems pretty calm to me."

"It's different!" Nishinoya shouted making Asahi jump. [Name] glanced at him for a second before returning his attention to the man in front of him. "I'm his best friend, I know him just as well as he knows me."

Call Nishinoya a worrywart but despite not seeing the other boy for an entire year, he knew when [Name] was in deep thought about something. Every time [Name] visited Miyagi, Nishinoya would always hang out with him and every time [Name] moved, he saw how he changed each time – for better or for worse. With his newfound confidence, he eventually became the one to lead [Name] around Miyagi and go on random adventures.

The day [Name] showed up when they were younger without a smile on his face after he moved for the third time, he made a promise that he would protect that kid no matter how tall he got.

Because when Nishinoya looked at that face, he remembered the kid who beat his ass at shogi every time he played, the kid who taught him that it was ok to be scared, and, most importantly, the small kid wearing a fox mask that helped him get over his fear of ghosts.

"You want me to join you on a training camp?"

Ukai nodded at the question while Takeda-sensei handed him a form.