Chapter 17

Human behavior was always predictable.

To completely change from one notion to another was difficult enough, much less changing how a person thinks. Whether they had certain opinions or acted according to situations, there was always something consistent in their choices. Even the simplest decisions show how a person thinks, acts, and plays.

In other words, all the little movements they made on the court told him how they would block, set, or serve.

The court is full of information, [Name] would always say with a smirk. If you can't take advantage of that, you'll never reach the top.

It was probably a harsh way to say it but it was the truth. Volleyball took more than just spiking, setting, receiving, or any skill involved. The game sense and coordination needed were extremely vital. You couldn't have one without the other.

Though sometimes he felt he relied more on his game sense than actual skill.

———————————————————

From the bleachers, sea-green colored eyes watched the ball go back and forth from one side of the court to the other, both teams trying their best to keep the ball up and down the other side of the court.

Akaashi Keiji would like to consider himself an open person, despite not really showing his emotions from time to time. He also liked to consider himself to have a very good read on people. He did have to deal with a very moody ace from time to time, and being vice-captain meant he also had to be aware of his team's emotional state, so yeah, he felt like he had a good read on people. This is why, out of all the players on the court, there were two people who caught his attention.

First was obviously Ichibiyashi's setter. As the regular setter of his team, he liked looking at other setters for tips and possible ways he could improve.

The captain's sets weren't anything special at a glance. If he was being honest, Inarizaki's setter was miles ahead of how he tossed the ball into the air. It was the fact that Akaashi couldn't tell who he was set to that made him so interested. His neutral expression helped in that regard but there was no way of finding out who he was tossing to until he had already done it. Akaashi looked at his hands, his position, his eyes, anything that could give the slightest semblance of a tell or a hint to who he was setting to.

Akaashi watched the ball head towards the captain as he merely raised his hands, staring at the ball. Two players jumped on either side of the net, both having an equal chance of being sent the toss. Just when he thought the ball was going to be sent to the ace, the captain jumped and dumped the ball into the other side of the court, right behind the middle blockers.

12 - 15

"Sheesh," Komi said after observing that play. "That's one nasty dupe. I couldn't even tell that he was gonna go for a setter's dump."

"Neither did I," Akaashi replied to the libero, glancing at the court to see the captain being congratulated by his middle blockers. "He's very... difficult to read."

"Even for you?" Konoha snaked his way in the conversation before looking at the setter, both teams preparing for the next rally. "He must be really good if he's like that." Konoha then went closer to Akaashi while glancing at a certain ace. "Though I'm more worried about him," Konoha whispered to him. "He's been really quiet ever since the match started. It's starting to get scary."

Akaashi followed his line of sight to see their ace staring at the court, golden eyes following the match on the court.

Bokuto was oddly quiet which made the team slightly worried. Akaashi looked at him with confusion since he definitely wasn't in a mood. Even if he got into one of his mood swings, he would usually be much louder than in his current state. Yet, Bokuto just sat in his seat, watching the game.