4

spider-man|taskmaster

chapter 4

movie - the amazing spider-man 2

•••

             MUCH TO HER DISMAY, Peter placed Charlotte behind the crowd of police, knowing she would be safer out of the view of whoever they were currently against.

           "I don't think you understand what helping is," she muttered, trying to peak over the police's shoulders — even going as far as telling them to turn off their sirens so she could hear better.

They simply ignored her.

             Instead, they kept their eyes on Peter, or Spider-Man, as he held a car from crashing into a single police officer.

              "I'm glad you aren't one of those cops that rides a horse," He mumbled, just loud enough for the people around him to hear.

               Charlotte amusedly shook her head, sneaking her way past the cops and crouching down by their car, curiously eyeing the man that stood only a few feet in front of her.

             Flipping the car back onto the ground, Peter had sat on top of it, doing the same as Charlotte as he inspected the being.

            "Yo, Sparkles," He called out, "Hey, how ya doin'?"

              The—man, Charlotte presumed, turned towards Peter, showing slight shock on his face as he saw him, "It's you?"

             "Yeah, uh, I know it's me," Peter nodded, cocking his head, "Who are you?"

             At the question, the man took a step forward, removing his hood from his head as he widened his arms out, "You don't recognize me?"

            Charlotte wanted to pay attention to the conversation, however, she was too focused on the electricity that flowed through the flooring whenever he took a step.

             With all of the people, including Peter being in the line of fire, she grew nervous at the close proximity.

             "Your my eyes and ears, of course I remember you!" Peter awkwardly shouted out, jumping off the car to approach him.

             Not hearing what the conversation was previously, Charlotte drew her attention back to Peter and the man.

            "The guy with the blueprints! What's your name again?" He called out, slowly making his way towards him. However, the question seemed to anger him more than anything.

            "You don't remember my name?" He spoke, his voice seeming to darken at his words, "How could you forget me?"

            "I didn't— it's— don't tell me." Peter stuttered out, placing his hands over his ears.

            Charlotte immediately thought back to her conversation with Peter after graduation. She remembered the blue prints, the pep talk, she knew his name.

what was his name?

"Max!" She shouted in realization, immediately placing her hands over her mouth as she gained the two's attention.

"Max! Of course," Peter repeated cooly, glancing in her direction. "I'm sorry, I didn't recognize you," He continued, taking Max's focus back onto him, "You— you look different."

Embarrassed, Charlotte looked back towards the ground, squeezing her eyes shut as she mumbled the word 'stupid' to herself.

However, her un-encouraging words didn't last long as the sound of a gun shot boomed into the air, immediately causing her head to snap towards the direction of the sound.

Feeling the electricity build up behind her, Charlotte took off into a sprint, barely seeing the blue-like lightning flash above her, hitting the electric billboard the sniper had been placed on.

With her feet moving faster, Charlotte's eyes found the sniper who had shamefully lost his grip, falling along with the rubble towards the concrete sidewalk.

Using a police car as leverage, she jumped, barely catching him through the debris. Spinning her body, Charlotte's back hit the windows of the building behind them, smashing into it as they roughly hit the floor.

With a slight groan, Charlotte hadn't even caught her breath before she looked for any injuries on the guy. "Are you alr-" she began to say, before her and the man heard a loud crack outside.

In confusion, Charlotte shifted towards the broken window, peering out into the crowd. Though no one could see it, her eyes widened once she noticed the billboard leaning dangerously far out, just above a huge group of people.

And — although Peter could feel it as well, Max was keeping him busy,

meaning it was Charlotte's problem to deal with.

~~~
ch. 4