26

spider-man|taskmaster

chapter 26

movie - the amazing spider-man 2

•••

IT SEEMED AS IF it was in slow motion when Emery's body fell into the pit of Oscorp. And the same could be said for Charlotte as she jumped after her — not having a single drop of hesitation in her actions.

The familiar feeling of wind had struck Charlotte as she fell after her friend, her hood flying back against her shoulders as she gained speed —
            — Not taking her eyes off of Emery, she watched as her friend helplessly held her arms out, hoping it would help Charlotte catch her easier.

That led to Charlotte plunging her body further, trying to gain speed as she quickly approached Emery. She reached out her own hand, barely grazing Emery's fingertips before gaining a good grasp against her hand.

She wasted no time pulling the girl towards her, immediately wrapping her arms around her in a protective manner. The impact of the two bodies colliding had caused them to spin, making it harder for Charlotte to grasp onto anything around them.

They weren't slowing down

And as they approached the flooring, Charlotte's senses had caused a severe headache — making the girl wince in response. But, she did not let herself get distracted.

           With the ground getting closer, Charlotte felt as if she was out of options. And she refused to let Emery take the impact. So, as she finally took control of their spinning, Charlotte had tried to shift herself below Emery — However, as she tried, she was stopped by something grasping onto her back, slowing down their speed.

But it was too late.

          A loud crack erupted in Charlotte's ears and  her body froze as Emery's tightened hold had loosened, becoming fully limp in her arms.

          Charlotte gently placed her feet on the ground, ignoring the pain in her ankle as she pulled the web off her back, refusing for Emery's limp body to leave her grasp.

         Her body shook immensely and Charlotte couldn't help but fall to her knees, her sobs getting stuck in her throat as she laid Emery in front of her.

         Emery's pale skin had lightened and blood dripped from the back of her head, staining Charlotte's gloves as she gently tucked her friend's hair behind her ears.

           "Emery?" Charlotte's broken voice echoed through the building, placing the girl back into her arms as she shook her lightly.

She didn't want to let go.

           "Em." Her voice cracked again, feeling as her mask began to be soaked by the tears that had escaped her eyes, "please wake up."

But Emery never budged.

             Charlotte suddenly felt as if her mask was suffocating her, and she ripped it off, tossing it to the other side of the room as her tears freely fell. Occasionally, they would drip onto Emery's face and Charlotte would quickly use her thumb to wipe it away — her lip trembling as the lifeless girl stayed in her arms.

"I'm so sorry — this is all my fault."

            The sobbing girl held Emery close to her, afraid that someone would come back and hurt her again. She felt so protective over her friend, and continued to blame herself for letting her die.

It was her fault.

           As a pair of feet dropped behind her, Charlotte tensed and wasted no time to turn towards it — lifting up a fist, that held electricity, towards the sound.

          Though, her eyes briefly softened at the look of Peter, who did look more bruised than before — staring at the two.

           One hand had held onto his mask, and the other reached out to the girl, ignoring the huge shock that snapped at him as he laid it against her.

          His own eyes had pricked with tears — and as he felt her body shake and heard the sobs leave her mouth, Peter couldn't help his own tears from falling.

          Emery's eyes were closed and her mouth was barely agape as she stayed in Charlotte's hold. Her hair was becoming matted with blood and her cheeks were stained of Charlotte's tears, which continued to fall each second.

Peter's hand had shifted from one shoulder to the next, pulling Charlotte closer to him as she held tightly onto Emery. Her cries were soon muffled into the crook of Peter's neck — and she had felt his own tears dropping into her hair.

Emery was gone.

~~~
ch.26