28

spider-man|taskmaster

chapter 28

movie - the amazing spider-man 2

•••

PETER PARKER HAD placed a gentle kiss on Charlotte's forehead, feeling as her breaths had finally become steady.

Though still upset, the memories that coursed through her mind helped her, slightly. It was also Peter's hand that gently rubbed her arm, following the rhythm of his own breaths.

And, although she felt safe against his arms, she reluctantly moved out of his grasp — finally placing Emery against the flooring.

She was so sad.

         Her gloved thumb had traced Emery's cheek, trying to rid the blood and tears that stained her skin. Peter had watched her sadly, keeping his hand on her back for support.

She deeply appreciated the gesture.

         And as Charlotte cleaned her face, she tried to keep the happy memories of Emery in her mind, but every time she tried, the horrified expression on her friend's face would reappear.

Harry had dropped her like it was nothing.

Harry.

        Peter watched as Charlotte's thumb had stopped rubbing against Emery's cheek. The girl, as he noticed, froze randomly.

       He opened his mouth, wanting to ask about her action, but as she turned to him — he found himself freezing on the spot.

       Her dark blue eyes, the eyes he had found so familiar, were almost as white as ice.

And that was only the start.

       Charlotte was quick to remove Peter's comforting hand off her back — And he knew why, especially as her pale skin had glazed to a light blue, becoming very similar to the man he had just fought.

       She had looked at him in fear, expecting him to mirror her expression, but he hadn't. Peter had kept the same soft expression on his face, mouthing it's okay towards her.

But it wasn't.

       Because Charlotte was not only sad now, but angry. When Emery had died, she was the only person in Charlotte's mind. But then Harry's name appeared — and she had remembered what he had done.

Harry Osborn murdered Emery McKinley.

The girl who loved him.

The girl who died loving him.

         Charlotte couldn't help that her emotions had taken over. And apparently, these mixed emotions were exactly what controlled the electric powers that stained her body.

           Peter couldn't help but watch as the girl stood, her fearful expression growing dark as she looked up.

           "Harold Fucking Osborn" Her voice venomed in a deadly tone. Sparks had shot from her body at the three words she had said.

          Peter didn't move from his spot, but rather looked in the same direction as she, as his ears caught onto a noise.

Charlotte heard it as well.

          Harry Osborn's eyes had never looked into the direction of Emery as he soared down. The smile that was etched on his face had only grown as he looked at Charlotte's new appearance.

He didn't seemed shocked.

But, unbeknownst to him, he would be shocked very soon.

          His taunting laugh sounded in her ears and it soon followed with him whistling a familiar tune.

          And at the sound, Charlotte was almost blinded from her emotions. She no longer felt in control of her powers nor her body as she watched him.

She wanted him dead.

"Guess you weren't quick enough?"

That's all he said.

Harry Osborn's last words.

          It was as if she glowed when she had fallen to her knees — a ticking time bomb that had run out of time.

           No sound was made, but anyone with eyes could see a mixture of blue and white escaping her body at a rapid pace.

And it was all directed towards one thing.

           It started at the hoverboard, which was trying to pull away from the explosion, and followed after Harry.

It had reached both.

Because then a scream had erupted from his throat.

And then it had grown quiet.

~~~
ch.28