36

spider-man|taskmaster

chapter 36

movie - spider-man: no way home

•••

        IN STEP, CHARLOTTE AND PETER ran towards the voices, swiftly jumping through the golden circle that had appeared. Three people, who were already inside, blankly stared at the two — confused expressions laid on their faces.

It grew quiet.

And then someone started freaking out.

      An older woman, flailing her arms in the air, yelled in the direction of Peter and Charlotte, soon tossing a pillow in his direction as an attack. Both Charlotte and Peter put their hands up in defense, trying to reason with the scared woman.

But she continued to yell.

      Charlotte watched as Peter ripped off his mask, looking disheveled as he glanced towards everyone. His breath was uneven, and he had tried to catch it in the process — eyeing Charlotte for some help. Charlotte, however, peaked back at the golden portal in curiosity, watching it slowly grow smaller.

And then someone spoke again.

A pretty brunette, with a confused expression on her face, pointed at the two, "Who the hell are you guys?"

Charlotte and Peter stared at her for a moment, only glancing at each other before answering her question.

"I'm Peter Parker."

And then they glanced to Charlotte.

"Charlotte Masters."

The two strangers paused again.

"That's not possible?"

"I'm Spider-Man" he continued, pausing briefly, "... In our world," He pointed to the two of them.

Charlotte nodded her head as he spoke, adding onto his words, "Until, uhm, this afternoon," She spoke carefully, "Then — we uhm, y'know, just.. uhm."

"We were here," Peter finished for her.

The boy, who stayed rather quiet during the conversation, finally let out a small gasp.

"Then who are you supposed to be?" He questioned Charlotte, his eyes lightly gleaming in excitement.

"Uh, they called me TaskMaster," She answered shortly, suddenly embarrassed by her given name, "Since, I — Well, master all my tasks?"

"What?"

"She has the physical and mental ability to perform movements by just watching them," Peter explained for her, "And as of a few years ago, she can intercept powers too."

"That's so sick!"

Charlotte couldn't help but let out a small smile — but as the brunette spoke again, it faltered.

"Prove it."

Peter sarcastically patted down his suit, his head looking around before speaking, "Oh, well I don't really carry an ID with me. Kind of defeats the anonymous superhero thing."

They looked to Charlotte next.

"Oh, sorry," She mumbled out, all eyes focused on her, "I'll make sure to grab it next time I go reality hopping—"

Charlotte was cut off by bread.

As the food hit her chest, thudding against the floor, the two heroes looked at the brunette wildly — not even knowing how to question the odd behavior.

"Why'd you do that?"

The brunette held her hands up defensively, almost as if she was going to fight them, while pointing in their direction. "I was seeing if you had the tingle thing." She spoke honestly, acting as if it was the most obvious answer.

"We do?" Charlotte nodded, watching as the girl went to grab another roll, "Just not for bread."

Bread hit her again.

        "Please stop throwing the bread," Peter now said, almost rolling his eyes as she grabbed another roll, "It's very wasteful."

"Prove it." The brunette repeated.

         Peter let out a soft sigh before lifting his hand. The group watched as he jumped, his hand immediately sticking to the ceiling.

          The brunette stared at him unconvincingly, pointing around the ceiling, "Crawl around."

         Peter gave her a dumbfounded expression and Charlotte held back a laugh, watching as he hung from the ceiling. "Crawl around?"

"Yes."

"No."

        "It's not enough," She spoke defiantly, crossing her arms at the boy.

"I think this is plenty."

          The brunette raised her arm again, getting ready to chuck another piece of bread before the older woman started to speak. Due to it being in a different language, only the younger boy was able to understand.

        "Okay," the boy responded, casually glancing up towards Peter, "She wants to know, since you're already up there, if you could get the cobwebs in the corner."

        Charlotte's hand was now placed over her mouth, a stifled laugh barely coming through as she had seen Peter's defeated expression.

It was going to be a long night.

~~~
ch.36