8

spider-man|taskmaster

chapter 8

movie - the amazing spider-man 2

•••

RUMMAGING THROUGH THE MESSY SHELVES, Charlotte struggled to find the old camera that she had long forgotten about.

Her computer was brightly on, displaying articles that included photos she had once taken. Specifically being the ones that she had taken of Spider-Man.

From what Harry had said to her, Charlotte had gathered that he thought he had found the cure for him and his disease — and although she wanted to be happy for him, his solution was something that she highly disagreed with.

       'the blood of spider-man' she remembered him saying, feeling the hairs on her arm rise at his words. Something in Harry Osborn's mind told him that Spider-Man was his solution. His cure.

Charlotte thought differently.

        "Calm down," Emery had spoken to Charlotte, glancing over at her every once in awhile, "I should be the one freaking out — Harry freaking Osborn is back!" She huffed out, grabbing a new box from under Charlie's bed.

         Charlotte took a second to look at her friend, smiling as Emery began digging into the next box. Though, it began to falter once she remembered how much he had changed.

          Tucking a few short strands behind her ear, Emery had pulled out the old camera. Her eyes trailed from Charlotte to her bed, immediately snatching a pillow and chucking it at her friend.

           "Emery," Charlotte pouted, watching as the pillow struck her desk, knocking off a few decorations. The girl simply laughed, placing the camera in Charlotte's hand as she started cleaning up the mess she had made.

         "Why are you even worried about that old thing," Emery mumbled towards her friend, "It looks like it hasn't been used in ages."

           "No reason — and it hasn't" Charlotte responded, holding back a smile as the camera had turned on with a high battery, "I just needed to delete a few things."

"Why?"

            "Just so I have more room," She lightly explained, deleting each photo she had of the vigilante. Harry had thought some of her unused photos would help identify where Spider-Man spends most of his time — maybe even finding his whereabouts.

           He had asked her to find up the old photos and show them to him when they saw each other again. So, Charlotte took it upon herself to delete all of them.

            As she went to the final photo, skimming her thumb over the delete button, Charlotte shocked herself against the camera — causing Emery to jump, she dropped the decorations she had just picked up, watching the camera slam against the flooring.

          "Oh, rough," Charlotte heard Emery speak, walking past her and towards the camera. However, Charlotte's eyes stayed focused against her fingers — staring at the bright blue color that dazed the tips of them.

          "Spider-man?" Emery mused, "Why do you have pictures of Spider-Man?"

           Charlotte briefly looked up at Emery as she shook her hands, hiding them into her sweatshirt pocket.

          "Oh—uhm," She stuttered out, glancing around her room, "It was for work— when I worked at the Daily Bugle," She explained, finally meeting her friend's eyes. "I didn't think I needed those photo's anymore," She continued, forcing out a laugh as she reached for her camera.

        Emery had not believed Charlotte at all, but decided to let her lie slip through. "Right?" She replied unconvincingly to Charlotte, placing the camera back into her hand, "You might want to hurry and delete it then, your camera's almost dead."

       At her words, Charlotte confusedly looked back down at the battery percentage, now noticing that the once eighty percent battery had gone to twelve in a matter of minutes.

       "And also — word of advice," Emery spoke again, taking Charlotte's gaze away from her camera,
"You really need to get better at lying."

~~~
ch.8