11

spider-man|taskmaster

chapter 11

movie - the amazing spider-man 2

•••

           EXCUSING THEMSELVES FROM Emery and Harry, Peter and Charlotte took off to the closest coffee shop.

            Every once in awhile, Peter would look over to the girl, watching her become fixated on her emails as she zoomed past the New Yorkers.

            "Is everything okay?" He asked, trying to get her attention away from her phone. Though, he failed to do so as she continued to scroll, seeming to be looking for something.

             It remained quiet between the two as they took another corner, coming up to the coffee shop. Charlotte stopped in her tracks, causing Peter to bump into her in the process. She, however, didn't even budge at the contact — instead, she had finally taken her eyes off her phone and reached for the handle of the coffee shop doors.

          "You really need to watch where you're going," She smiled, leaning her back against the door as Peter rolled his eyes, entering the building.

"The usual?"

           "As always," Charlotte answered, making her way towards the free table in the furthest corner.

         Keeping her phone turned on, Charlotte pulled up the video she had emailed to herself from Harry's computer — a video that she had found quite uncomfortable to watch.

          As the chair in front of her had been scooted back, Charlotte turned her phone in the direction of Peter, anxiously bouncing her leg as he picked it up.

         "Headphones—" She quickly said, pulling out a pair from her bag, "You'll need headphones."

         Peter furrowed his brows, but took the headphones she had tossed on the table, plugging them into her phone and placing them in his ears — Peter had clicked play.

       A man, around the age of late fifty's appeared on the screen, standing in front of three containers of spiders.

"You're looking at the world's first human-spider-hybrids.

The hope is to extract the venom from their glands and—uh, turn that into a cure. An agent that heals disease cells.

And — If I can be cured, imagine what this could do for other diseases like Alzheimers. Even cancer."

       The video had ended, and Peter had taken out both earbuds as he looked at Charlotte apprehensively.

       "He never made it to human trials," Charlotte explained, taking her phone from Peter, "It was fourteen years of research and as of right now, nothing to show for it. However—"

        "Harry wants to change that?" Peter asked, keeping his gaze on his hands — still focusing on what was said in the video. Though, he still noticed Charlotte shaking her head in response.

        "No— actually, he believes that someone has already proven the work," She said as she dug through her bag again, pulling out a year-old Newspaper.

       Peter hadn't had to look at the cover to know who was on it — Now even understanding what pictures Harry had mentioned earlier to Charlotte.

         "He's convinced— he knows that" Charlotte lowered her voice, "That you— not you, but y'know— you were bitten by that spider. That Spider-Man had been bitten."

"So the photos he is asking for?"

        "In some way he believes that those photos are a step closer to finding Spider-Man." Charlotte answered, "He wants to find him, Pete. And I'm scared because he's desperate now— he doesn't have much time" She continued, "I just, I don't want to underestimate what he's willing to do for Spider-Man's blood."

"Me neither."

~~~
ch.11