18

spider-man|taskmaster

chapter 18

movie - the amazing spider-man 2

•••

         EMERY MCKINLEY SMILED AS she sat on Peter Parker's chair, watching him frantically search his closet.

           The messy haired boy continuously threw jackets and button ups on his unmade bed, having Emery pick out his nicest set of clothes — Harry Osborn's words continuing to repeat in his head,

"Don't wait too long, she's a pretty girl. Life's short, something could happen— happen to her."

          Thinking back to Charlotte, though she was always on his mind, caused Peter's pulse to undoubtedly quicken. There was no denying that she was the one girl to make his stomach erupt in butterflies by simply breathing — or the one person his eyes immediately went to when she entered a room.

         Charlotte Masters was the only one who not only knew his secret, but supported him throughout his troubling times—
          — She was always there to patch up Peter after a battle gone wrong. She was the girl to distract Eugene Thompson, or Flash Thompson, from breaking his cameras and blackening his eye.

            Whenever he had thought about his past, no matter how far back it had gone, Charlotte was always apart of it.

When his parents had died.

When he had become Spider-Man.

When his Uncle Ben had died.

The Lizard.

          She was there for everything, even when she had barely known him — Before they were even friends.

Peter Parker had realized that Charlotte Masters was not only his past and present, but also his future.

So, thinking about Harry's words like he said he would, Peter had called Emery to his home so they could plan the perfect date.

"Charlie is going to be so happy!" She gushed out as she looked between Peter's shirts, easily picking out a dark green button up.

Charlotte's favorite color.

Holding up his shirt, Emery immediately headed to his drawers, skimming through his pants as Peter let out a nervous chuckle, glancing back at the short haired girl.

"And if she says no?" He questioned, taking the shirt Emery had chosen, "What do I do then?"

Emery glanced back at the boy and noticed how worried he had become in a matter of seconds. And as someone who wasn't the best at giving advice, Emery had instead smacked him with a pair of pants — earning a muffled curse in response as he fell back on his bed.

She laughed.

"Do you remember what we practiced?" She asked, lifting the pants off of his face and into his hands, along with the shirt. Peter had nodded in response, still looking slightly dazed as he did so.

Emery nodded at him to continue, having the boy stand from his seat on the bed to face her.

"Charlie.." He started slowly, awkwardly scratching the crook of his neck, "Doyouwanttogotodinnerwithme?"

Emery had cocked her head in response, almost letting out a disappointed sigh at his words.

"Again."

And so, as requested, Peter Parker continued to practice his words until Emery was satisfied.

It had taken at least forty five minutes, with a small snack break from May twenty minutes in, before Peter was confident enough to not only ask but to grab her hand as well.

Emery almost felt herself falling for him at the end of it.

"Good, uhm— good," She shyly smiled, pulling her hand away from his own, still noticing his reluctant eyes, "She will say yes, Pete," Emery softly spoke, placing a comforting hand against his arm, "She's had a crush on you for ages — She has pictures of the both of you all over her damn wall for crying out loud!" She finished, watching as his own face broke out into a grin.

"And to say yours doesn't differ from hers too much," Emery sarcastically mumbled, flicking at a picture of Charlotte on his wall.

His face grew red.

"Anywho," She widely smiled at him, "I have a date with Harry after work, and I suggest you go and get some flowers for her—" She paused, taking Peter's phone out of her pocket to give back to him, "Do you know her favorite flowers?"

"Sunflowers," Peter had stated, acting as if it was the most obvious thing to him.

Emery nodded again, sighing at the thought, "Y'know, I wouldn't mind if Harry got me flowers," She spoke aloud, making her way to his door, "Sunflowers are rather lovely."

Peter laughed at her dramatic nature, bidding the girl a goodbye as she left his room. His laugh had grown louder though as he heard May trying to convince Emery to take home some leftovers she had.

After some protesting, May was successful.

Pulling on the clothing Emery had chosen, Peter had finally got to look at his phone — something Emery had taken from him since he continued to get distracted on it.

        And although he was expecting a notification or two — his once smile had disappeared into a frown as he noticed 7 missed calls from Charlotte.

~~~
ch.18