21

spider-man|taskmaster

chapter 21

movie - the amazing spider-man 2

•••

BY THE TIME PETER AND Charlotte had made it outside, the sun had began to set on the horizon — letting a rose gold haze drift over New York's sky.

Peter was perched on top of the Oscorp building, while Charlotte had kept her arm tightly around his shoulders, keeping herself steady.

Behind their masks, the two vigilantes were keeping their eye out for Max, as he had now disappeared from both of their views. At some points, Charlotte thought she felt a surge of electricity surrounding them, but as she looked — nothing took her interest.

So they waited.

And the rosy sky had grown dark.

        However, it wasn't only the sky that had gotten dark — but the entire city. The lights in every building, street light, and home had dangerously flickered — Charlotte's body had taken in immense pain as the energy felt as if it was being sucked right out of her.

         Her body had winced forward in pain, causing the two to tilt over the edge of Oscorp's building. Peter's hands had immediately found their way around her waist, pulling her back into the safety of his arms.

        "It's— Max," her voice strained through her mask, glancing towards the electrical force that stood just a few blocks away, "He's taking power from the city."

         Peter cursed to himself, holding the girl closely towards him as bright blue electricity started to grow — Charlotte had let out a small yelp at the sight.

         "It's gotta be some kinda blackout plan, right?" He softly spoke, drawing her attention away from the electricity and onto him.

          "I don't know," Charlotte responded hastily, taking deep breaths as she tried to push back the pain, "But, we gotta stop him, this blackout—"

           "It can do a lot of damage," He nodded, finishing her words. However, his face had fallen for a moment, "How are we going to stop him? Whenever I get near him he fries my web shooters. And you, well-"

           "We'd just be sending electricity back to each other," She said in understanding, "Have you tried—"

"—I've tried everything."

"Have you tried magnetizing them?"

"..No"

            "Okay," She smiled reassuringly, not thinking about how he couldn't see it, "Go do your thing then."

             Charlotte had stood from her position, trying to steady herself on the corner of the building — not making it far as Peter let out a quick protest.

             "What do you think you're doing?" His voice showed urgency as he grasped her arm, stopping any cause of her falling off the edge.

            "What do you mean?" She cocked her head, "You're taking care of him and I'll—"

"You'll?"

              Charlotte had stared at him for a moment, wondering why he seemed so confused on the situation.

Until she realized.

             "Oh, shit!" She lightly shouted, grasping Peter's shoulder, "Harry! You don't know!"

              Though his face was covered, Charlotte could tell by his body language that he was confused and slightly worried about her words — With everything that had happened in the past two hours, the girl had completely skipped over the fact that Peter wasn't caught up.

             "A supposed cure," She mumbled to him, "The other intern, Miles— you don't know him. He had apparently had some help making it," She explained, "It hadn't been tested at all, Miles was obviously worried about it, he said it wasn't ready."

"But he took it anyways?"

            "Yes!" She answered quickly, "And it was bad, Pete. Really bad, his face— his hair, it's all different now. His personality had absorbed all these new traits, he's turned violent, Peter."

            Peter had especially perked up at the last part, placing his gloved hands on either side of her masked face. "He didn't do anything to you, right?"

            "I'm okay," She answered semi-honestly, "But, anyways," Her tone grew lighter, gently grabbing his hands from her face and holding them into her own, "I'll take care of him, you get electro guy."

            "Electro?" Peter mused, subconsciously swing their hands as he looked past her, "We're giving them names now?"

             Charlotte held back a laugh as she lightly pushed him away, standing on the very corner of the building.

"Be safe, Charlie." He watched her cautiously, fidgeting with his web shooters, "I still need to take you on that date."

"Yeah, yeah," She laughed, not denying it, "Now go be a superhero."

~~~
ch.21