13

spider-man|taskmaster

chapter 13

movie - the amazing spider-man 2

•••

         AS CHARLOTTE GRABBED THE utensils, Peter was setting the plates on the small dining room table. Laura Masters, happily humming to the radio that was playing, was using her spatula to chop up the hamburger for tacos.

Charlotte had kept her gaze towards her hands and feet as she set the table alongside Peter. Every now and then she could feel him looking at her and her movements, but out of embarrassment, she never glanced back.

Peter was amused by this.

Charlotte was rather nervous.

       Her mind wondered back to just 20 minutes ago, when her and Peter were alone. She had thought about the feelings that had grown in her stomach — the way her eyes glanced between Peter's eyes and lips as their hands stayed connected.

Charlotte couldn't deny that she became happier when Peter had entered a room she was in — she couldn't deny her prior jealousy to his short fling with Felicia Hardy years ago.

She had always harbored her feelings for her best friend and had no problems doing so until recently.

They had grown closer since he had become Spider-Man. Charlotte thought she was doing great at not showing her feelings when he said or did something that would cause her heart to quicken — the only indication would be the blush on her cheeks. Though, most of the time it was covered by her mask.

She had wondered what would've happened if her mom never entered the room. She couldn't help but ask herself if it would have really happened. Would she had followed the latter and leaned in like he did? Would she—

      "Charlotte!" Her mom snapped at her, causing Charlotte to drop the knife she was holding.

       Charlotte's head snapped up towards her mom and then back down to the table as she noticed everything had been set besides the utensils that were crammed in her hands.

        "Sorry," She awkwardly murmured, quickly placing the rest of the silverware out — then taking a seat next to Peter.

Though it seemed like he was reading her mind, Peter gave her a soft smile to ease her anxiousness and even went as far as to place a small, reassuring squeeze on her knee.

Again, Charlotte's heart had seemed to quicken its pace at the contact, but almost immediately vanished once she focused on speaking to her mom.

"Where were you this morning?" She curiously asked, getting a spoonful of hamburger meat into her shell, "You don't work today."

"Well," Her mom huffed out, glancing down at her food, "A lot's going on at work — mostly stuff I can't necessarily talk about, but with you being an intern, I may be able to spill some things," She quietly said, sending a small wink to her daughter.

Charlotte shared a look with Peter before giving her attention back to her mom, "Like what?"

        "Well," Her mom repeated the word, sitting her fork down to look between the two, "I don't believe either of you should even know who this is — or even be able to understand what is going on but—" She paused, seemingly trying to think of her words before saying them, "Do you know that blue electric guy that terrorized New York last week?"

      Both Peter and Charlotte went tense at her words, but nonetheless nodded, letting her continue on past her question.

      "He worked at Oscorp," She spoke rather bluntly, not waiting to see their reactions, "There was an accident, he was apart of it — Don't worry though, we are taking care of it."

"What do you mean 'we' are taking care of it?" Peter asked hastily, not even touching the food that was on his plate.

Laura Masters sighed, now pushing her plate away completely, "We as in Oscorp." She stated, "With an accident this big— leading into another accident. Literally creating that— that electric thing," She spoke bitterly, "It would look awful on Oscorp's record. So, we are doing the only thing that can be done."

"Which is?"

"To erase any trace of that man from Oscorp records, of course."

~~~
ch.13