6

spider-man|taskmaster

chapter 6

movie - the amazing spider-man 2

•••

             SITTING IN HER SMALL BATHTUB, Charlotte had finally began to feel normal — no longer feeling the warm buzz flow through her body like once before.

           However, despite the feeling being gone, she still couldn't help but notice the continuous flicker of light whenever she had moved her fingers.

She found that part rather interesting.

             Still worried about the girl, Peter sat outside the bathroom door, wanting to talk about what had just happened. Instead though, he decided it would be too soon — so, it remained quiet between the two.

            "I have my internship tomorrow," Charlotte broke the silence, reaching her fingers to unplug the drain. "Someone else got the internship too. I just haven't met him yet," She continued, standing from her spot and reaching for the towel that hung on a hook against her wall.

            Walking out of the bathroom, towel tightly wrapped around her body, Charlotte briefly walked past Peter to her closet, already feeling goosebumps painting against her skin as she did so.

           Peter, not expecting the girl to openly make her way out of the bathroom in just a towel, immediately tried to bring his glare to the floor. However, he also wasn't expecting his eyes to trail after her — or to be caught in the act by Charlotte, who had caught his gaze in her mirror.

          With a deep blush from both parties, Charlotte had asked Peter to spin around, placing on more comfortable clothing once he did so.

As Peter had received the okay, the boy had turned back and watched as Charlotte brought her hands under her bed, pulling out a small medical kit that was tucked behind a few baskets.

          "Take it off," She instructed, keeping her gaze on the box as she pulled out medical wrap. Peter's eyes rose at the request, gently sitting on her bed.

"Excuse me?"

           "Your arm," She spoke again, arching her brow at him, "Did you forget about the cut?"

            Now glancing at his arm, he noticed two huge gashes on his bicep — blood had started to soak the suit, making the once blue fabric purple.

"Oh, obviously," He played off, stretching the suits fabric until it hung from his waist.

As carefully as she could, Charlotte placed ointment on her fingertips, gently tracing the bloody gashes along his skin. Although she knew he was trying to act as if it didn't hurt, his continuous tensing against her fingertips told her otherwise.

Her eyes trailed from his wincing face to his wound, letting a sad smile play on her face, "You know, I think this has become habit," she softly spoke, feeling his eyes look down on her concentrated face.

"Well your suits are more well equipped than mine," He lightly chuckled, earning a soft slap from Charlotte as she tried to perfect the wrapping he had just messed up.

"That's your fault, you make both of ours," She shrugged, finishing her work before sitting next to him, "Why don't you make yours as safe?"

Peter glanced at her for a second before looking at his newly wrapped arm. "I'd rather you be safer than me," he honestly spoke, "And I can't afford to buy more," he silently added in, leading Charlotte to smile.

         "I would have to say the opposite," She jokingly tisked, glancing down at his shoulder.

        Peter watched her face scrunch as she continuously peaked at his arm, seemingly having thoughts run through her mind. And — he was about to ask what she was thinking, before she shook her head and softly placed it on his shoulder, immediately tensing about her decision.

      Though, even if she couldn't see it, Peter's face had quickly formed into a grin as he felt her head on his shoulder.

      Following her lead, he gently laid his head against hers.

      With the now comfortable position, two had sat in silence for the next few minutes — only being able to hear each other's breaths.

Until Charlotte spoke again.

"Do you know why he came home?" She mumbled against his shoulder, knowing Peter would know who she was talking about.

Without saying a word, Charlotte felt Peter shake his head at her question.

"His dad is dying, Peter," She whispered, feeling his head lift off of hers only slightly. His eyes stayed directly on her wall.

"The rumors were true?"

"Yes," She nodded in response, "It was in the email that explained my internship," she explained, "Said he might be going through a hard time, especially since he will be the new face of Oscorp Industries — It must be a lot of pressure."

       "His dad and him never really got along," Peter added in, "He's been out of the country for years now because of him."

        Charlotte nodded, remembering when their friend had left them. Emery had especially been heartbroken, since the two seemed to be more than friends.

      "That's not the only reason he came home," She spoke again, standing from her spot on the bed. Turning towards Peter, she noticed his questioning look.

         "What his dad is sick with, well," She stopped, thinking for a moment, "I did some research and noticed a continuous pattern—
    —And, well, it gets passed down, Peter."

         "Harry Osborn has the same fate as his    father.
                                                     He's dying too."

~~~
ch. 6