40

spider-man|taskmaster

chapter 40

movie - spider-man: no way home

•••

"DONE"

THE GROUP'S VOICE SPOKE IN a cluster, and Charlotte was now in her new suit, holding the cure tightly in her grasp.

After the previous conversation, Ned was more quiet than before, seemingly lost in his thoughts as he stared at his best friend. Charlotte softly patted him on the back when she had walked past him and sat her cure with the rest — joining the youngest Peter Parker as she sat on the table next to him, watching as his fingers fiddled with his wrist.

And Ned spoke.

"Peter!"

And then multiple voices.

"Yeah?"

Followed by Charlotte mumbling.

"Oh great."

And then Ned tried again.

"No— uhm, Peter- Peter?"

The group of spider-men then went on to say, "It doesn't work like that," and "We are all named Peter."

"Peter Parker?"

"Oh my God."

"We are all Peter Parker..."

Ned, now looking stressed, lifted his computer, "The computer!"

A silent 'oh' could be heard now as the youngest jumped from his seat, meeting Ned on the other side of the room. Charlotte and the rest had followed in curiosity, watching as Peter had taken his web shooter from Ned, and snapped it onto his wrist.

"What is that?"

Everyone had glanced towards the oldest in the room, quietly wondering why he would be the one to ask that. However, the youngest didn't give it a second thought as he answered, "My web shooters, for — well, y'know."

Again, the oldest stayed quiet before glancing at a stool across the room. Charlotte stared curiously at the man, questioning why he was being weird all of a sudden. But, once he pushed out his wrist and a web appeared — her eyes had grown.

"That came out of you!" Ned spoke excitedly, running towards the stool to inspect the web. The others stared down at his wrist, shocked.

"Yeah?" He awkwardly smiled, glancing down at the others wrist, "You can't do that?"

Charlotte's Peter was the first to respond, almost frightened as he studied his arm, "How the hell did you do that?"

Then Charlotte's eyes had widened more.

"Wait," She spoke quietly, gently grabbing his wrist, "So in your universe, you can produce your own webs?"

"Yeah?"

"And so, when you first met Peter and I," She continued after his answer, "When you shot at us with your webs, and hit me on the wrist, it came from you and not a web shooter?" She clarified again, seeing as her Peter started to catch on.

Again, the oldest nodded.

"So..." She paused briefly, "When it had dissolved into my skin, it wasn't chemicals but-" She stared ahead of her, gently pushing her wrist out, "I can—" Her words grew quiet as a web shot out of it, slapping onto the wall in front of her.

Everyone got quiet.

Charlotte's Peter had then moved to her side, grasping her wrist to see it. And Ned's smile, which some how gotten larger, stared in amusement.

"Do you think—" Her Peter had whispered to her, "Do you think it could combine?"

"With the electricity?"

He nodded shortly.

Charlotte slowly shrugged and pushed her wrist out once more, feeling the familiar burn in her eyes. A moment later, with much concentration, her hand flicked down and a sparked web hit upon her old one — this time holding a blue glow to it.

Her brow quirked up.

And she looked at the eldest.

"You think I should get that payback from earlier?" She joked, playfully flicking her wrist in his direction.

Ned's amusement grew.

"Do you know what they should call you!" His voice broke out. Everyone's eyes left Charlotte's glowing web and towards the excited boy.

"The electric spider!"

~~~
ch.40