5

spider-man|taskmaster

chapter 5

movie - the amazing spider-man 2

•••

AS PEOPLE SCREAMED AND RAN, Charlotte stood firmly against the sidewalk, gasping in pain as the heavy billboard was caught in her hands.

And Although he was still in the middle of the fight, Peter kept glancing back at Charlotte, making sure the advertisement sign wouldn't crush her at any moment.

"Thank you, Scorpion" — the two had said in unison, not hearing each other.

Scorpion, the last villain to be seen before Peter Parker had transitioned into Spider-Man, was defeated by Charlotte, or her alias taskmaster. At the time, Charlotte had only had copycat fighting stances, so— it had come as a shock when she had absorbed Scorpion's powers by a single punch she had involuntarily taken.

As of now, Charlotte had taken in his superhuman strength, agility, stamina and speed, along with reflexes that were once called, scorpion-sense.

Letting out a harsh groan, Charlotte had leaned the billboard backwards, softly placing it onto the ground.

         Trying to turn back to Peter and Max's fight, Charlotte wasn't able to adjust as people quickly  surrounded her, recording and taking pictures. Lifting her hand above her eyes, she tried to cover the flashes that were becoming distracting.

         "Could you—uhm" She tried to speak, pushing past the groups of people who started to crowd and thank her, "It's no problem— I just can't see," she spoke sincerely, "Please, I just-" Pausing her sentence, Charlotte felt her body tense — her senses going haywire. The cameras flashing had no longer taken affect on her as she pushed past the group, towards the only open area.

        To her astonishment, Peter stood in the middle of the bright red bleachers, having successfully webbed each hand that went to grab the now electrocuted — metal hand rails.

        Max, watching as everything happened, simply laughed at the sight, confusing the two as they watched him.

"Can't save everyone, Spider-Man"

         At his words, Charlotte's eyes widened, trying to jerk her body away from the blue electricity that shot towards her. However, not being quick enough, Charlotte was harshly thrown back, causing her body to slam into a brick apartment building.

        "Masters!" Peter's voice muffled through the mask, stopping his movement towards her as he glared at Max, whose attention was still on the unconscious girl.

        Max, being proud of his move, bent back towards the ground, getting ready to feed from the electricity that flowed through it. However, he was cut short by Peter, who held part of a fireman's hose in his hand.

        "That ought to do it," He simply shrugged as he dropped the hose, high-fiving one of the firemen before making his way to Charlotte, who had now tiredly laid against the wall.

          "Are you okay?" His voice softened, reaching out to touch her arm. Though, he quickly pulled away after he received a rough shock.

         Charlotte shook her head in response, trying to stand from the debris. Peter had helped, despite the uncomfortable electricity that prodded at him as he did so.

          "I feel really, like—" Her voice gravely spoke, struggling to find the words, "I feel really warm inside" She whispered, using her free hand to point to herself as the other clung onto Peter.

          "Yeah?" He listened intently, hating the way he could hear the hurt in her voice, "I think we should get you home—"

           "But my shift—" She tried, instantly earning a light laugh from Peter.

Despite her pleas, Peter lifted Charlotte, sending a web towards the direction of her apartment,

          "You have a lot more to worry about than your shift."

~~~
ch. 5