29

spider-man|taskmaster

chapter 29

movie - none

•••

         EMERY MCKINLEYS FUNERAL had happened just a week after. Several students, a few family members, and Charlotte and Peter had all shown up.

Emery's parents hadn't, however.

           It had been a sunny day, but not too hot. A day that Emery would consider perfect. It was quiet, with only a few sniffles being heard every once in awhile, as people stood around her casket — remembering the sweet girl.

Emery Rosaline McKinley.

1 month later.

        Due to the loss of her best friend, Charlotte had taken a break from her hero duties. Peter understood this and supported her fully — staying with her as soon as she woke up to when she fell asleep.

Peter did everything to make her happy.

       He would hold onto her tightly, combing his fingers through her hair as she laid against him. He would tell her jokes to just to see her smile again, he loved seeing her smile. But, unknowingly to Peter, he didn't have to make his cheesy jokes to see her smile — because as soon as she'd see the boy, no matter how she was feeling, she couldn't hold back the smile that would appear.

Charlotte was more than grateful for him.

And she knew Peter was hurting as well.

        So, doing her part, Charlotte would also go out of her way to help Peter Parker. She would make his favorite food, especially when she knew he was coming. She would read to him, absentmindedly messing with the rings against his fingers as she did so. And he would eventually fall asleep, which never went unnoticed by Charlotte, who would pull the blanket that they shared over his shoulders — letting the tired boy sleep against her chest.

And sometimes, she would join him in the slumber.

2 months later.

        Their date still hadn't happened, and although they both thought about it occasionally, neither felt like it was right to move on with their lives just yet. Especially now that the raven haired girl wouldn't be there to show her happiness for the two.

It just didn't feel right.

         On the second month since her funeral, the two had finally courage'd up to visit Emery, not being ready to do so before.

          Charlotte had roamed New York City's streets, stopping at a small, outdoor shop. An older lady with ghostly white hair had smiled up at her, watching as Charlotte looked at the row of flowers that were displayed.

         It didn't take long for Charlotte to find what she was looking for, which was bright yellow sunflowers. Emery's favorite.