7

spider-man|taskmaster

chapter 7

movie - the amazing spider-man 2

•••

IN AN ALL BLACK SUIT, Charlotte Masters confidently made her way into the Oscorp building, keeping her head held high to hide her growing intimidation.

"Charlotte Masters, here for the internship with Harold Osborn," She courage'd up a smile, getting a deep frown in return.

"And you?" The man looked past her, leading Charlotte to curiously follow his eyes.

"Uhm, hey— yeah," The boy spoke, awkwardly stepping next to her as he did so, "Also here for the internship, sir."

"Name?" The secretary pressed, earning a deep breath from the boy.

"Miles Morales, sir."

___

           BOTH CHARLOTTE AND MILES stood awkwardly outside a glass door, waiting for Harry to be done with the meeting he was currently in.

            After not seeing him for four long years, Charlotte was unsure on how to act around him. She was oddly even questioning if he would remember her.

           The two had changed drastically since the last time they had seen one another. As Charlotte no longer needed her glasses, her dark blue braces eventually came off, and the four more inches she had grown, Charlotte's entire appearance had changed. On the other hand, Harry's sweet persona and graphic t-shirts had seemingly dissolved. By what she had seen by the tabloids, Harry Osborn had thrown away his entire past, now only wearing expensive suits and high brands, while also sleeping with almost every model he lays his eyes on.

       Although, Charlotte couldn't help but notice the type he would seem to go for. Tan skin, pitch black hair that would grace their jawlines. Every single one looked like a carbon copy of Emery McKinley.

Emery noticed it as well.

"Welcome to the future," The familiar voice spoke, passing between the two interns as he pointed to his assistant to follow him. "We've got lots to talk about," He continued, speed-walking through the hallways. Charlotte had already figured she'd get lost in the building.

        After a few more turns, Harry Osborn pushed open his office doors, leading the two interns and his assistant to be met with a wide—windowed room. Charlotte had almost covered her eyes at the brightness of the room.

       Harry hadn't glanced at anyone as he went to his desk, messing with the computer. Continuing to stand, Harry had projected a plain screen against the wall, snapping his fingers as he stared at the blankness.

      "What do you see?" He coldly asked, keeping his back turned to the group behind him. 

       Everyone stayed quiet as they stared at him, unsure of how to answer his question. Miles glanced between Charlotte and Harry's assistant, hoping either would break the silence.

       "Nothing?" Harry's voice broke out again, finally turning his body to face the three. His eyes studied each person shortly, bringing his attention to Charlotte for a second time. "What I have on this screen— this nothingness, is the known cure to 'Goblin Disease.' It is rare. It is genetic. It is incurable. But mostly, it has been passed down to me." He explained, slowly pacing the floor, "This blank screen shows the amount of answers we got to not only find a cure, but to make one."

      Harry stopped his pacing at once, now taking broad steps towards Miles and Charlotte.

       "You are talented, is that correct Mr. Morales," Harry questioned, cocking his head to the side.

       "I guess you could say that, sir." Miles responded, earning a tisk from Harry, "We don't do guessing here. Especially when this question could interfere with my life."

       As Miles mumbled a short apology, Harry took a step over, looking at Charlotte with a small, unsure smile.

       "It's been a minute, Charlie," He nodded to her, placing a hand on her shoulder. "I've done a lot of research on you after I left. Especially after you applied for the internship," He commented, staring at her deeply before taking a step back. "I'm impressed."

"Should I be flattered?"

Harry laughed, ignoring her question as he finally walked up to his assistant. Whispering something in her ear, Charlotte watched as he pointed to Miles and then to the door.

With a nod, the assistant looked towards Miles, placing a fake smile on her face.

"I believe it is time to start your internship, Mr. Morales." She spoke, making her way up to him, "Please follow me."

Uncomfortably, Charlotte watched the two leave, immediately feeling awkward at being alone with Harry.

"So, that research on you," Harry loudly spoke, heading back into the direction of his computer, "You used to work for the Daily Bugle, am I incorrect?"

"For a short while, so no"

"Yes, for a short while," He nodded, before changing the blank screen into a few photos she had taken, "You took these?"

Charlotte nervously glanced at the photos before looking back towards Harry, wondering as to what he was getting at. "I did."

"Good," He nodded again, clicking through each of the pictures closely, "It seems as you always got a great shot. Always close to the action. To him. How did you do that?"

"It was my job," She answered honestly, cocking her head towards him, "I got close to get the best shots. I needed the money. Why?"

Harry once again had ignored her question, changing the screen on the projector again.

"Do you know what you are looking at?"

Charlotte quickly shook her head no, beginning to grow more nervous every time he would talk to her.

Harry proudly smiled, making his way up to her, placing his hand in the small of her back. Bringing his lips dangerously close to her ear he had whispered,

"This Charlie, is the answer to all of my my problems."

~~~
ch. 7