Christmas Tree Farm - Jüri Vips

Christmas, the most beautiful of the year. Families gather around after being in all different parts of the world to spend time together. Delicious meals are being served, bringing a once-in-a-year food coma that will cause nausea for the next two weeks. Peace and serenity, as well as laughter and joy fill the air as people sit around the gorgeously set Christmas tree to give each other presents wrapped with love and awfully too much of a scotch tape. Timeless Christmas songs are being sung from the top of the lungs in everything but a perfect pitch.

This sounds magnificent, doesn't it? Except for the part where all of this is only a perfect illusion. Scenery from the movie scenes and TV screens. It might be a reality for a few families here and there, but Christmas is, in fact, full of stress and frustration. Nothing goes according to the plan, and jolly families in commercials make you hate the world more than you already do. And if you don't have at least three arguments in one holy night, you can congratulate yourself.

Jüri let out a deep exhale as he finally left the crowded shopping mall, his hands occupied with overfilled bags. He would swear that he had never seen so many people in one spot in his life, it was ridiculous. Due to his exhausting timetable, he found time for a holiday shopping spree at the very last moment. Much to his horror, he wasn't the only one with the same idea. It seemed as if the whole town decided to go to the same place at the exact same time. It was awful, absolutely horrendous. There was a shortage of everything: things, food, personal space, patience, energy, and will to live.

Luckily, Jüri somehow managed to get everything he wanted. However, the amount of time he planned to spend shopping had doubled, maybe even tripled. Queue after queue, waiting after waiting, suspension after suspension. Everything took forever and sucked out the joy Christmas is supposed to bring into our lives. Jüri lifted his hand when he saw a taxi nearing him. For a moment, he was glad that he didn't have to drive because that would make him lose his mind completely. He swiftly dictated the address to the driver and plopped on the backseat, putting the bags on the ground. He fastened his seatbelt and glanced out of the window. Tiny snowflakes started falling down from the sky, giving that special something, cherry on the top. While one would feel overjoyed about it, Jüri, whose mood had been ruined by the human species, didn't share the buzz. No matter how poetic snow on Christmas Eve sounds.

"I hope you are not in a big rush, sir," the driver spoke up, moving Jüri's attention to him, "there is a dreadful traffic jam in front of us," Jüri glanced forward to see tons of red lights shining as brightly as Rudolph's nose does.

"That's fine," Jüri fought an urge to let out a frustrated sigh, faking a smile instead, "not that we can do much about this, can we?"

"That is true," the driver nodded his head as he was switching through the radio stations, "this is the dark side of Christmas, I'm afraid. I will try to get you to your destination as soon as possible but it won't be simple. From my experience I can tell that this one," he pointed in front of him, "will move extremely slowly. And with the wet road every mistake can cause much more trouble," without even noticing it, Jüri moved his head up and down. As a racing driver, he knew how exciting but also perilous the wet track can be. Especially to amateurs.

"Don't worry about it," Jüri waved his hand and leaned his head against the seat. As he was watching the streets slowly being covered in snow, his eyelids became heavier and heavier. And before he knew it, he fell asleep in the back of the cab.

-

"Sir, we are here," the driver announced, his strong voice waking Jüri up. Well, that was actually quick he thought in his head as he stretched his body a bit. But when he looked outside, the place they arrived to looked everything but familiar to him. Instead of a busy town slowly being eaten up by darkness, he appeared on a bright day. Everything around them was wrapped in an icy white blanket. Apart from a few trees, there was nothing else that would strike one's attention.