Popularly Alone - M. Schumacher (1/3) ✔

Moving to another country is always one of the most crucial milestones in our lives. It helps us to be more independent, meet new people and cultures, learn a new language, and so on. Overall, it helps us to improve ourselves in many ways. Y/N moved to Switzerland for many reasons. The main one was school. She was about to attend Lausanne University to study Religions. Coming from a Jewish family and having a Muslim best friend, she had always been interested in religions. Her lifetime dream is to manage that all religions would be able to communicate together and respect each other.

Instead of living right in Lausanne, she chose a small town called Gland. She grew up in a village, big cities were making her anxious. Too many people, traffic...she liked to keep it low-key. Y/N heard lots of stories and saw many pictures of Swiss nature, and she yearned to see it by herself. If it's as gorgeous as people say. Gland was just as she imagined. A small peaceful town by the lake Geneva.

When she arrived at her new home, she noticed a grande villa in the distance, not far away from her small house. It looked like a mansion of some celebrity, and Y/N immediately remembered one of her favourite books, The Great Gatsby. But unlike Nick Carraway, she hoped that this rich person won't throw spectacular parties every night. She never was a party animal, she would rather stay at home with a book and a cup of hot chocolate. Thanks to her different approach to life, she has always been an outsider among others. She used to bother about it, stepping out of her comfort zone just to fit in. But then she realised that this is not the way she wants her life to go. She should be herself and not care what others think and do. If you want people to like you, don't be yourself.

The first days in the new school were obviously difficult for Y/N. New place, new rules, new people. She had to start from zero, get used to everything. Luckily, she met some helpful people and made acquaintances faster than she expected.

"So, Y/N," one of her new friends spoke up while they were in the canteen having lunch, "where are you even staying? Somewhere in Lausanne?"

"No, I have a small house in Gland. Lausanne is awfully exorbitant," Y/N giggled while nitpicking in her food, "I'm driving here by car, it's around half an hour of drive."

"Wait, did you say Gland?" the other friend asked in surprise, putting the fork aside.

"Yeah..." Y/N answered with a slight hesitation, her eyes flickering from one friend to another, "is there anything wrong with it?"

"No, no," the first friend assured her, "there's definitely nothing with it," they glanced at each other, "it's just that we know somewhere there..."

"Oh, I've been there for a couple of days, so I don't know anyone..."

"You must know the Schumacher family."

"Who?" Y/N asked cluelessly, raising her eyebrows.

"Are you serious? Michael Schumacher, former Formula 1 driver, 7time world champion. Doesn't ring a bell at all?" Y/N slightly shook her head, having genuinely no idea who he was, she had never heard the name before.