25 - Carlos Sainz Jr. ✔

If you don't do it, you will lose her.
For PedalToTheFloor

-

It was a pretty good race for Carlos today. He finished tenth, which means that he is bringing one point from Spa-Francorchamps. But he wasn't thinking about it,  his head was full of his very good friend Y/N.

They met for the first time when Y/N moved to London four years ago. You moved to an apatment next to his. Carlos helped you with boxes, and you two very soon became friends. When he got a bad race weekend, you always tried to cheer him. When he got a great race, you always celebrated it. He also took you to his hometown two years ago and introduced you to his family and friends. Thanks to this trip you grew even closer, and Carlos started to have feelings for you. But there is one big problem standing between you. And that's Y/N's boyfriend BF/N. You two have dated for two years now, and you looked so in love. You  were spending all your free time with him and forgot about Carlos. You started to drift away which broke Carlos' heart.

-
It was a late afternoon in London, and Carlos was at home watching TV. He was enjoying his last days here before travelling to Monza. He hasn't seen you for some time but he managed to stop thinking about you every single day. Suddenly, a phone interrupted him from his relaxation. A frown appeared on his face as he read the caller's ID: Mr. Torpedo

"Wassup Daniil?"

"Hey, you won't believe, what I heard."

"What?" Carlos asked curiously, turning the TV down.

"BF/N is going to pop the question today. He told me." Carlos choked on his breath when he heard those words. Daniil is BF/N's good friend so obviously he told him about his plans.

"Bien...congratulation to them I guess," he said simply, not wanting to show that his heart has shattered into million of little pieces.

"You don't mind? I thought that you have feelings for Y/N?" Daniil asked confusedly, "you seem way too ok with that. Y/N is going to get married, Carlos."

"I don't have feelings for Y/N!" Carlos tried to sound calm, but the Russian driver knows him too well to, "and I wish her all the best, BF/N is the best guy for her."

"Really priyatel'?" Carlos sighed heavily, there was no use in lying to Daniil.

"Alright, I love her," He reluctantly answered, "but it doesn't matter anymore. She has him."

"Don't say that. Y/N loves you," Daniil said, making Carlos snort, "trust me, she is with him only to get over you. It's so obvious, why do you think she is avoiding you?"

"And what am I supposed to do? Crash the party?"

"Exactly. You'll go to her and tell her. Because if you don't do it, you will lose her forever, ponyal menya? And she will marry someone she doesn't actually want, do you want that? Now, get your lazy Spanish ass up and go! He'll propose to her at Richard's park in a few minutes. It' s your only chance. Do svidaniya, Carlos. I believe in you," and with these words Daniil hung up. Carlos swallowed hard and thought about his teammate's words. Should he go? But what if Y/N really wants to get married to that jerk? He has bigger muscles, he is definitely better than him in every single way. Then he looked at his jacket and the decision was made. He took it and ran to the park, hoping that it's not too late. Then he saw you standing on the bridge and looking at the lake, alone. It was cold, but you didn't even have a coat.

"Hola," you heard your favourite Spanish accent and turned around to see Carlos standing next to you.

"Hola, Carlos," you sent him a weak smile. Out of sudden, a very cold breeze blew around you, making you shiver. He said nothing and put his jacket around your shoulders.

"Thanks," you whispered and looked back at the calm waves of the lake.

"What happened?" Carlos asked and gently touched your shoulder. You took a deep breath, not knowing how to break he news to him.

"BF/N took me for an afternoon stroll to the park. And then he knelt down... he popped the question, Carlos. He asked me to marry him. And I...I said no." you sighed, rubbing your temples in frustration, "I rejected him and we broke up."

Carlos blinked a few times and asked: "really? Why?" he was doing his very best to not show his joy because he didn't want to upset you.

"I thought that I love him, I really did. But when he knelt down and asked me if I would marry him, I couldn't force myself to say yes. I just couldn't, I don't now why. I guess that I don't want to spend the rest of my life with him. He didn't take it very well, he stormed out of the park. But I don't regret it. You know what, I think why I didn't say yes," you turned to Carlos so you were now facing him, "I have feelings for someone else."

"Who is it, Y/N? Do I know him?" Carlos asked and took a step closer. It was hard to say if you are on the same page or not. You swallowed and closed your eyes for a moment, sorting out your thoughts. Then you opened them and looked straight into his chocolate eyes.

"You, " you slowly said. His pupils dilated but then he smiled and grabbed your hands.

"Y/N, I've had feelings for you since Madrid. But you had a boyfriend and I coudln't tell you how I feel about you. Today Daniil called me and told me about BF/N plans. He forced me to prevent it. At first, I didn't want to do it, because I though that you don't feel the same. But then I decided that I'm gonna fight for you. Or try to."

"And I removed your oponent. So you are the winner...congrats," you both grinned.

"Maybe we should...you now what I mean," he let go of your hands and scratched the back of his neck.

"Yeah, I know what you mean, Carlos," you playfully rolled your eyes and wrapped your arms around his neck. But he just stared into your eyes but did nothing, makinf the whole scene awkward.

"My god, Carlos! You are so useless!" you groaned before slamming your lips together. He, of course, kissed you back and placed his hands on your back to pull you closer. Sometimes he upsets you, but nonetheless, you love your Spanish meercat and you always will.