Chapter 1- A Vengeful Woman

--Angelina POV--

Unlike rules which people say are made to be broken, the same can't be said about promises. Promises are made to be kept.

I've been taught that from a young age, growing up to believe that it was true, and there has never been a promise that I haven't kept just as there has never been a promise that I made knowing it couldn't be kept.

If you make a promise, you should be prepared to bear its weight.

But I should have known better than to simply believe that what I full-heartedly believed couldn't have been said for others too. While I made promises with the intention to keep them, there were people who made them half-heartedly, and unfortunately, I was naive enough to make one with a man that I believed was the other half of my soul.

I believed that I was happy.

But apparently, that was just a delusion I had thrown myself into believing was the truth.

Maybe that's why I'm sitting here right now, like a pathetic loser who doesn't know what face to put on. Having just had everything taken from me, I'm not exactly sure how I should react.

One, small, wooden gavel being hit onto a block was all the action needed to have everything taken from me. And the sound of that hammer's echo resonating through the room, right through my cracked heart, was all it took for me to realise that I was alone.

"Court is adjourned,"

My title, my status, my reputation, wealth, and company; all gone.

As everyone slowly began to pile out of the room, I couldn't seem to get my legs to move, so instead, I found myself sitting there on an uncomfortable chair, simply looking up at the golden statue of lady justice.

"Lina... I am sorry that things have turned out like this, I never meant-"

"Luxurian is my company, I built it from the ground up. I knew that you were a pathetic man, Donovan, but this is taking things a bit too far, don't you think?"

"This is why I warned you not to divorce me... You were a brilliant Duchess for Ludovica, we could have sorted our problems out, but you went ahead and filed for divorce like the mischievous woman I always knew you were,"

"The main problem in our marriage was that I was taken for granted. And I didn't know about it until I caught you in bed with a maid that I hired out of pity for her poor financial state, but turns out she's just a homewrecker," I spared a glance at the said maid, or should I say mistress, that stood behind Donovan, my now ex-husband.

"Nevaeh is a woman that I love. But while I love her, I love you too. If you could just understand that, then we wouldn't be in this-"

"You can't have everything, Donovan. It was either me or her. And you chose her." Uncrossing my arms, I stood up off my chair, turning my gaze away from the lady justice statute and to the man in front of me, a man I once used to think was the most perfect being to ever exist.

With that perfect shade of brown hair, those rare green eyes, and the smile that had my heart thrumming wildly against my insides, there was a time when he was able to make butterflies flutter in my stomach, but that time is long gone.

"You could have kept everything else; I only wanted the company that I poured all my blood, sweat and tears into. I deserve at least that much,"

"Luxurian has managed to become the company that the Dukedom earns most of its income from, giving it up to you would mean bankruptcy for the rest of my companies,"