Chapter 19- Recurring Thoughts

--Donovan POV--

They wouldn't shut up. It was the same gossip wherever I went. Angelina. Angelina. Angelina. No matter where I went, her name would be there, and with her name came an array of memories that I thought I had put behind me.

"Mr Garcia, it's a lovely ball," I complimented, clinking my wine glass with his as he chuckled, nodding his head in thanks.

"It's not just lovely, there's been a dramatic plot twist, and everyone loves drama. I'm just a little surprised to see you so composed, is it not triggering to have to see your ex-wife with a new man so soon after your divorce?" And here we have another one that loves gossiping about Lina.

"Well, I don't think I have the right to judge her as I've done the same," He hummed, once again, nodding his head along to my words in understanding.

"And what of your new wife? How does she feel about the ex-Duchess?" If I wanted counselling, I would have hired a therapist. So, why the hell is this man roasting me as if he's at a fucking barbecue?

"I couldn't say. If you're so curious, you should go ask her yourself," I faked a smile before taking a step back. "Now, if you'll excuse me," I had enough of that conversation.

Why? I thought she would have disappeared after I took everything from her. So why is she back? And looking like a goddamn seductress testing my patience. 

She never dressed like that while married to me, she couldn't, not while being a Duchess, it wasn't modest enough for my father who adored her.

I could hear her laughter from here, and her laughter drew me to her, it always has. And so, I found myself looking after her, watching as she stood at the bar area with that man's arm coiled around her waist as they spoke to someone else.

I don't think she's ever looked so comfortable in public before. Was being a Duchess that difficult for her? Or was it something that was simply expected of her?

I knew her better than anyone.

Being a Duchess came with its expectations, and I know she made sure to carry them all out to the utmost care. She treated them all differently compared to how she treated me, to them she was the perfect Duchess, always composed, dignified, and knew how to reply to anything said.

But with me, I saw the real her behind closed doors. 

When it was just us, she'd laugh full heartedly instead of chuckling behind her hand, she'd throw pillows at me whenever I teased her, she knew I was ticklish so she'd pinch my waist at any unexpected moment, she'd always greet me with open arms when I arrived home after her, and so much more, I could go on forever.

She loved strawberries, she was allergic to peaches, she wasn't the least bit ticklish, her favourite movie genre was romance but she'd never be able to finish watching it without falling asleep, and she caught colds so easily that I swear it wasn't normal.

I wonder if that man knew any of that? I wonder if he knew her as well as I did.

They only knew each other for a few months at most, but me? I've known her for years. I know what she likes and doesn't like, I know her better than I know myself, she can't change that, no one can.

"Don," 

Yes, she used to call me that quite often. I didn't know how much I loved nicknames until she started calling me that, just like I'd call her Lina. Something personal between the two of us, it brought us closer to each other.

"Don!" 

And I snapped back to reality, turning to see Nevaeh standing beside me, clutching onto the ripped fabric on her waist with an annoyed look on her face.

Angelina never let her annoyance show in public.

And at that thought, I flinched in surprise.

Here we are again, Angelina infesting my thoughts. Why the hell is it so difficult to get her out of my head!? Since when did she have such a firm hold on me!?

"What is it, darling?" I asked, going to kiss her forehead.

"I don't think there's anything I can do about it; it's ripped in such an awkward place. Can we just go back to the penthouse? I don't like it here," She wrapped her arms around my waist, looking up at me with large, pleading eyes.

"It's barely been an hour since we got here. If we leave now, how will that make me look to the rest of society?" I've already told her this, but why is it so hard for her to understand?

"But all they're talking about is Angelina. I get that she's pretty, but do they have nothing better to do with their time?" She scoffed, and I went rigid, looking around at the nearby guests from the corner of my eye as they looked at Nevaeh with a displeased look.

They all think I've degraded from Angelina, the perfect Duchess, to a maid who holds nothing to her name. And yes, even I have to agree that Angelina was a much better Duchess, but I also know how hard Nevaeh is trying to be a good Duchess, and I have to appreciate that.

Angelina never had to try; she was perfect from the beginning. And that was what made me fall out of love with her, Nevaeh had her shortcomings, but that's what I love about her, she isn't perfect.

"Quieten down, Nevaeh. Many of these people are people that I'm looking to collaborate with in the future. If my reputation is ruined tonight then those collaborations will be unlikely,"

"But-"

"-If you hate it so much then leave. I thought you'd understand by now, but this isn't just a party where we all gather to have fun. It's a business where we judge each other to see who's good enough to work with," I ran a frustrated hand through my hair as I spoke.

"Why are you getting angry?" She whispered, eyes trembling with unshed tears.

And now I was beginning to lose my patience. She's not a child, so why is she acting like one? She wasn't like this at first all those months ago when I first met her, she was an innocent rookie who knew nothing about being a maid.

But I need to keep reminding myself that she's not a maid anymore, she's my wife. And that made her a Duchess. And being a Duchess is no easy job, especially for Nevaeh who has no proper educational background.

And it's more difficult for her because, unfortunately, my father doesn't like her. He loved Angelina as the Duchess of Ludovica.

"I'm not angry. Just... There's a spare dress in the boot of the car, go change into that and come back if you don't want to go home alone, is that okay?"

"But what if that dress doesn't go with my jewellery or make-up? I don't want to become a laughingstock," Angelina's jewellery; I bit my lip to hold back the unnecessary retort.

But beginning to notice my annoyance, she quickly shut up.

"Okay, I'll be back soon," And leaning up to kiss me one last time, I watched after her as she left the room to go to the car where the spare dress was. Angelina always kept a spare dress in the boot in cases of emergencies, and I haven't taken that dress out since our divorce. 

I'd almost forgotten about it since there was never an emergency with her, but I remember the day I bought that dress for her. She thought it didn't look pretty on her, but dear god was she wrong? She was beautiful beyond words.

And she still is.

Once again, I turned to look at where she stood, nodding and smiling as she talked.

That purple dress that hugged her body in all the perfect places, the long leg that was left out for my eyes to greedily look at, and the low neckline that revealed the top of her breasts. It brought back certain memories that I could never forget. 

I wonder if he's able to satisfy her better than me? I'd hope not.

But Angelina... Since when did she become so unforgettably beautiful?

...