Chapter 28- Fawning Realisation

--Angelina POV--

Things were changing. Little by little, one step at a time, I could feel the shift in emotions inside me when I was with him. It was odd, and scary, to say the least, but I was happy. And I can only wonder how long this happiness will last?

It's all bound to end by the time my revenge is over, so I'll have to be careful in not revealing my growing feelings for him before then. One thing I was certain of though is that this man is nothing like Donovan, so I'm happy to know that at least once in this lifetime, I've succeeded in falling for a genuinely good man.

"We should host a party," Lucian spoke one morning as we were sat having breakfast together, Milo on the ground beside me as he nibbled on his own food.

"That's sudden. Why?" I asked.

"It's expected of us to throw a party when something big happens, and I'd say getting married is quite a big achievement. Having just gotten back from our honeymoon, now would be the perfect time. And we should invite everyone,"

"Everyone?" I repeated, wondering if I had guessed correctly in what he was insinuating.

"Yes, that includes your ex and his mistress, if you were wondering," He calmly stated as I hummed, wondering how to react.

"Oh,"

"Trust me, Angel. It'll be fine,"

"You sound quite certain," And his certainty reassured me.

"That's because I am. We won't be inviting them to entertain them, but rather to humiliate them. If they decline the invitation, they'll look like spineless fools, and if they accept the invitation, they'll look shameless. It's a double-edged sword, and I'm taking complete advantage of it," He certainly was, and he made no attempt to hide it.

"I can see that. When you offered to help me with my revenge, I didn't see you helping me out this much, at most, I was expecting you to lend me your title and influence, but you're doing much more than that. I'm thankful," He smiled at that, picking my hand up as he kissed my knuckles, his eyes unmoving from mine.

"There's no need to be thankful. Any decent human would have helped you to their full extent if they saw what you had been through with those low lives,"

After having cried to him about my deceased father, I had expected for there to be a slight change in our relationship, especially since the things I told him were things that no one else other than my mother knew about in detail. 

And there was definitely a change, but I wouldn't call it a little one. We grew closer, in ways that we couldn't mask as 'fake', but we both turned a blind eye to it because we knew about the foreshadowing consequences.

I was falling in love with him despite my unhealed scars of the past, and I was hoping that what he was showing me was himself falling in love and trying to hide it from me, but the fear of rejection was high on both sides, so we were simply waiting for the other to make a move.

But honestly, if he were to tell me he loved me, I wouldn't know how to react.

I wasn't sure if what I felt for him was love, but I didn't want to accept his feelings while being uncertain of my own, only to make it seem like I was using him for my plans. And I think he knew this too.

"When would you like to hold the party?" I asked, changing the topic.

I'll take it as a good thing that both of us were too scared to speak our true feelings to each other. You can never know what to expect with Lucian.

"We'll hold it in two weeks, any earlier and we'll look either suspicious, desperate, or all of the above. Other than the Moretti's though, we'll invite other influential families too, and, of course, my mother will be there, and we can't forget about-" He cut himself off, a glare climbing onto his face at the thought. "-Reid. Unfortunately," He muttered as if it were poison.