Chapter 12- Regrettable Actions

--Donovan POV--

"Should we throw it away?"

"Throw it away?" I turned away from the closet filled with her clothes, and the many memories we shared together, to look at Nevaeh who was standing in my room, in front of my wedding portrait of Angelina and myself.

"The picture," I moved to go stand beside her as I looked at the picture.

What a beautiful day that was, I can't seem to ever put it into words, but I knew that on that day, I had been the happiest man alive. I can see it in the picture, on both my face and hers.

But the more I look at that smiling face of hers, the more I'm reminded of the betrayal that sat on her face the day I took everything from her. While I regret the way I went about the situation, I also believed it was necessary.

I had found a woman who made me happy, Nevaeh. And I loved Angelina too, but it wasn't enough for her, she wanted all my love for herself, and that made me turn away from her, I found myself being attracted to this new woman whom I'd never seen before.

She was different, nothing like Lina. She didn't come from a wealthy background, she wasn't the CEO of any business, and she was humble about what little she had in life. Unlike Lina who was always busy with work, Nevaeh always made time for me. 

Before I knew it, I caught myself staring after her as she worked in my home. She was always so focused on earning money to make ends meet for her family, I was attracted to that, Lina wasn't like that, she didn't have to be.

Nevaeah had things that Lina didn't, and Lina had things Nevaeh didn't. But I can't have them both. That's why I chose Nevaeh.

"No," I answered, taking the large photo off the wall. 

"I know we're not married anymore, but it feels a bit much to throw it away. I'll put it in the attic," I added on as she hummed, slowly nodding her head in acknowledgement.

Smiling at me, I smiled back as she got on her toes, pecking my lips before turning on her heels, the heels that Lina used to wear all the time, and walked out of the room.

I know Nevaeh isn't normal, I'm aware that she's under the impression that she needs to be better than Lina, my ex-wife, and I wish I could assure her that she didn't need to worry, but I also know that I shouldn't.

Truth be told, my father's so mad at me right now that he's refusing to either talk or even look at me right now. Angelina had apparently been the best Duchess this dukedom had ever seen, and that's why my father loved her so much, she was perfect in his eyes, and he thinks I've made a mistake in losing her.

But that's the thing, I didn't lose her. I got bored of her. Every day was the same, she was at work all day, I was at work all day, and in the evening when we'd be together at home, we'd do the same thing every day. Bath or shower together, read some books, eat dinner and so on.

It had been a routine, and I guess she liked that routine, I thought I did too. But I didn't, Nevaeh showed me that. There was so much more I could be doing, but I wasn't doing it. Angelina was a comfortable person, but Nevaeh gave me excitement.

"I wonder what you're up to right now?" I mumbled, staring down at the picture in my hands.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss her, Lina had become my normality. It feels weird to come home to someone else instead of her, it feels weird to do different things everyday instead of my usual day-to-day routines with Lina.

Waking up and helping each other get ready, scrubbing her back as we showered, reading books and commenting on the plot of each other's stories, I missed it. I do have my regrets in letting her go, but I want to move forward.

"Your grace?" I jumped, turning away from my wedding photo to look at Clyde who stood at the doorway of my room, a confused look resting on his face.

Yes, along with my father, all the workers of this estate have also grown to dislike me, but I'm aware that they're trying to keep it discreet, unsuccessfully of course. Angelina had managed to get into everyone's heads to prove that she was the best Duchess ever.

She was so friendly to everyone all the time; it bought a warmth to this place that had never been seen before, and I find myself missing it.

"What is it, Clyde?" I asked, going to hand him the picture that had been in my hands.

"What would you like us to do with all the belongings of the Duchess?"

"You mean the ex-Duchess?" I raised a brow.

"Ah, yes. I apologise, that was inappropriate of me," He bowed his head down in apology.

"It's fine, just don't make that mistake again, especially in front of Nevaeh," I warned as he nodded his head. I guess simply divorcing her won't be enough to get rid of her presence, she had managed to intertwine herself into this family, and now there's not a single thing I can look at without seeing her face.

"So... What would you like to do with the belongings of the ex-Duchess?" He rephrased, reminding me of the current conversation at hand.

"Right, just leave them for now. I'll deal with it later when I have more time," I waved off, ignoring the look he gave me before nodding his head, turning away before leaving with the portrait of me and Angelina in his hands.

And with a quiet huff, I went to sit down on the bed, covering my face with my hands as I hunched over, doing my best to get rid of the image of the beautiful woman in my head.

"Why did you have to be so perfect?" I mumbled into my hands.

Angelina was amazing at everything. She was the best Duchess, the best CEO, the best wife. I never once heard a bad word of her, there was none to speak, she had simply been an amazing woman with an even more amazing personality.

Going to my side of the bed, I pulled open the drawer before peering in to see where I kept some pictures of her. She was smiling in all of them, looking as though I had made her the happiest person alive, and maybe I did? Until I started second-guessing everything.

I hated to admit it, but I knew that if I let her divorce me then she'd make me regret it, so I had to take everything from her to make sure that never happened.

I hated myself for it. 

She gave me everything, and all I did was take it without giving anything back. She deserved better than me, a man who hid in her shadow, jealous of his own wife.

But I didn't have to be jealous of Nevaeh.

"Are you coming?" The said woman's voice called from the doorway, surprising me for a moment as I quickly put all the pictures back in the drawer, and stood up, turning to face her with a small smile on my face.

"Yes, let's go," I nodded, going to grab her hand as we left the room.

But it's too late for regrets. 

Angelina is gone now, and she's not coming back.

...