Chapter 35- A Villain & A Heroine

--Nevaeh POV--

"Why the hell are they in my country?" 

I scoffed, reading through the newspaper on the article where Angelina and her husband were seen stepping out of their private jet onto Italian turf.

"She married a German mogul, so why is she coming back to Italy?" I whispered to myself. Day by day, she's growing more and more insufferable.

But it was okay now, because she can't have Donovan anymore, not when I'm pregnant with his child. I sat back on my chair, my hand resting on my still-flat stomach. Once I start showing, I'll have to start wearing the clothes I buy since Angelina didn't leave behind any maternity wear.

When she hears that I'm pregnant, I'm sure it'll knock her down a few pegs.

Talking about my pregnancy though, I didn't see anything about it written on the newspapers? Even after I went out of my way to tell the newspaper company, did they find Angelina coming to Italy more interesting than me being pregnant with the future Duke?

What does she have that I don't? It's a question that I fear will never leave my mind.

Even the damn title of the article was infuriating, could they have been anymore condescending? The Angel of Italy returns home with her German husband, how silly.

I couldn't even properly understand what the article said since I don't know Italian, but I was certain it wasn't anything good, just compliments being thrown her way, what a waste of paper.

"What are you doing?" My husband asked as he walked into the room, going to sit at the head of the dining table as he always did, sipping on his glass of water as he waited for the maid to give him his breakfast. I remember that maid, I used to work under her when I was new here. But now look, she's the one working for me.

"We've got some guests," I stated, handing him the newspaper as he looked at it, confused at first until it changed to surprise.

"Angelina's in Rome," I hated how happy he sounded.

"Yes, but I don't know why, she's got nothing left here," I scoffed, annoyed.

"She's Italian. Born and raised, her family are all here as well as her roots, including the graves of all her ancestors," He said, giving me an odd look as he spoke.

"Don't mock me," I grumbled, snatching the paper out of his hands as I handed it to another maid to dispose of. I didn't need him looking at her picture in front of me, he's already refusing to throw out all their pictures together from when they were still married.

Why am I the only one holding onto his marriage? I thought that once he learnt I was pregnant, he'd fall back in love with me, but that doesn't seem to be the case. In fact, he's grown more distant to me now than before, he can't stand to be in the same room as me anymore, let alone sleep in the same bed as me.

What's something that will keep him away from Angelina? Something that will keep her away from him? There's got to be something, there always is.

And then I realised, there was.

It was so obvious that I must have been crazy to not have seen it before.

"We should invite her over," I announced.

"What!?" He choked on his tea, coughing and spluttering as I waited for him to get a grip.

"Both Angelina and her husband, we should invite them to our home for a small, intimate gathering. It'll be fun," I smiled at him as he raised a brow, not believing me.

"Are you okay?" He decided to say.

"Never been better." I nodded. 

"They must be tired from their long trip. Being here, in a place she's familiar with should help her unwind, wouldn't you agree?" I bit back my smirk as I stared at him, knowing exactly what he was thinking. He wanted to see her. In this house which was once theirs together, a place that holds many memories for both of them.