Chapter 21- Perfect Expectations

--Angelina POV--

"Shouldn't you be on your honeymoon?" Julia asked.

"Technically, yes. But it was getting boring at the villa, so we decided to come here to change things up a little," I came up with the excuse on the spot, hoping she bought it.

"From Italy to New York, just for a little party," She chuckled.

"Not like I can't afford it," Lucian shrugged nonchalantly.

"Hmm, you're not wrong." She gave in.

As I put my finished glass of wine down, I thanked the bartender before turning back to Lucian. "I'm going to the bathroom," He nodded, kissing my knuckles before I left.

After finishing my business, I washed my hands, tidying my reflection up a little as I reapplied my lipstick, pausing for a moment when I caught Nevaeh walking into the room, but unlike before when she was brave enough to meet my gaze, she flinched away this time.

And I didn't bother saving her a glance as I finished off, putting my stuff back into my clutch before turning to leave without another word.

I thought that was that.

But, once again, this world had other plans.

He blinked, surprised to have seen me walking out of the bathroom.

"Lina... I mean, Mrs Vandenburg," He was quick to correct himself.

"Good evening," I nodded, going to walk passed him, but he quickly outstretched his arm, grabbing my wrist before pulling me back, and guiding me towards the darker wall where we stood outside the gazes of passing people.

"What do you think you're doing?" I spat out.

"I don't know. I acted on instinct," He ran a hand through his hair as I huffed, annoyed, pushing him away from myself before standing up straight, and brushing my hair out of my face.

"Well, you need to start thinking before acting. I'm not going to let it go a second time," But as I turned to leave once more, his words were what stopped me this time.

"You've changed,"

I have so many things to say to that, I don't know where to start.

"Thank you for noticing," I closed my eyes as I sent him a fake grin.

"Why?" He whispered, and as I looked him in the eyes, he looked as though he were ready to cry, but I knew better than to believe that.

"Whose fault do you think it is that I've changed?" I asked with a raised brow, turning to give him my full attention as he looked me up and down.

"You. And your wife. It would be concerning if I didn't change, wouldn't you agree? What if you were the one that caught me cheating on you the way I caught you cheating on me? Would you be able to remain composed? Tell me,"

"...No, I'm sorry. I never thought of it like that,"

"If you're sorry then give me back Luxurian," I threateningly spat out.

He raised his eyes to meet mine, and he didn't say anything for a bit until he raised a single hand, going to pull the strap of my dress up to properly sit on my shoulders, and I shoved him away as soon as I felt his touch.

"Do not touch me. You have no right," I took a step back.

"Lina, don't act like this. You know I warned you not to divorce me, you know I loved you too much to let you go, but you didn't heed my warning, and that's on you,"