Chapter 11: An Effort

Yuna walks to their usual table after grabbing food at the Elven Restaurant. They sat outside on their own spot because Yeonjun insisted on being away from everyone and they didn't want to leave him alone. Her eyes darted to the most obvious change as she said, "Hey, you're eating lunch with us again."

Ryujin ignores her and continues to glare at a distance as Yuna asks, "Okay, Miss Grumpy. Where's Beomgyu? I borrowed a pencil from him a few days ago and I just found it in one of my pockets." Yeji nudges her and says, "Look where she's staring." Yuna turns to Ryujin then follows the direction of her eyes and says, "Oh, he's with Seyoung again."

Ryujin's eyes turn to Yuna as she asks, "Again? How long have these two been talking?" Yuna replies, "Why do you care? You were the one who avoided us for weeks." Ryujin hisses, "How long?" Kai jokes, "Jealous?" Ryujin turns to the joyful reaper as she threatens, "I'll send you to the underworld." Kai smiles, "That would be sending me home. I'm fine though, Yuna has my back."

"I do?" Kai nods as he hides behind her and continues to poke the beast that is Ryujin, "I heard Seyoung's been hanging out at Beomgyu's dorm too." Ryujin's aura darkens as she says in a low voice, "Since when?" Soobin says, "Calm down before you make him pee himself."

Ryujin groans as she glares at the warlock with annoyance, "Is someone going to answer my question?" Soobin replies, "The answer is none of your business." She asks, "What's your problem?" He answers, "The real question is what's your problem? I'm just looking after my friend and roommate. He likes her and she obviously likes him. Don't ruin it." Ryujin falls back on her chair and slouches in silence and in annoyance.

Lia chuckles, "Welcome back, Ryujinnie. Nice to see you're still ecstatic as usual." Ryujin rolls her eyes and says, "It's the gorgon's fault. I'm still on edge because of him." Yeonjun replies, "I have a name." She replies, "Sorry, it's Yeonjun's fault. Better?" Yeji chuckles, "I'm surprised you're not used to him yet. All the other demons don't mind him anymore." Ryujin hisses, "I'm not like other demons."

"Ryujin?"

Ryujin turns her eyes to Beomgyu and immediately blushes. She hisses, "I swear, Yeonjun, you need to get out of my sight." The angel asks, "When did you start coming here again?" Ryujin replies, "Today." A sudden awkwardness engulfs the air as Chaeryeong finally walks in and says, "Did you hear about the new students?"

They all turn to her as Chaeryeong takes a seat next to Ryujin, "After the semester, we're getting a new batch of students. It's exciting." Ryujin casually puts her arm around Chaeryeong's shoulder and asks, "Know any of them, yet?" Chaeryeong replies, "Nope. I hope there's more merpeople."

Taehyun asks, "Bored of us already?" She replies, "Nope, just you Kang Taehyun." Kai suddenly stands and glances at Yuna, "Let's go?" Yuna nods as everyone else glance at the two. Yuna smiles and stands with Kai as she says, "We have an alchemy class to go to." Yeji asks, "You're into alchemy?"

Yuna chuckles, "I transferred from my Elven Economics. Kai said it's more fun and I can learn about magic." Yeonjun smiles, "Wow, I've heard about fairies doing magic." Yuna smiles proudly, "Yep, I'm gonna be great." Lia asks, "But why does a grim reaper need to know alchemy?"

Kai replies, "Grim Reapers do alchemy but with life and not just normal elements." Lia gulps as Soobin chuckles at her nervousness. Yeji turns to Ryujin and asks, "Don't we have Mythical Objects and Tools Class next?" Ryujin nods as Yeji stands and says, "We should go early, I have to talk to the teacher about something." Ryujin stands with Yeji as Beomgyu suddenly goes to Ryujin, "Actually, can you do me a favor?" She stares at him waiting for him to speak as Beomgyu digs in his pockets then hands her a scrunchie. He says, "Seyoung left this and she has that class next, can you give it to her for me?"

Ryujin just stares at his hand in silence as Yeji quickly grabs it from his hand and says, "Yeah, I got you." As the two walk to class, Yeji asks, "Do you actually like him? Or is it Yeonjun making you act up again?" Ryujin stays quiet as the vampire chuckles, "So you do." Ryujin stops walking and glances at Yeji, "Doesn't matter anymore, does it?"

Yeji stops smiling with Ryujin's sudden mood drop. She whispers, "Sorry." Ryujin sighs and says, "It's fine. Yeonjun makes it worse though, I don't why he's still doing this to me." Yeji replies, "Hopefully, Soobin's school project is a success so you can finally relax around him." Ryujin suddenly asks, "Do you have that scrunchie?" Yeji takes it out of her pocket and shows it to Ryujin who says, "Give it to me. I'll give it to her." Yeji looks at her and hesitates as Ryujin smiles, "I'll be nice. I promise."

Yeji eyes her then hands it over. Ryujin pockets it while Yeji says, "You have to stop picking fights with our friends." Ryujin can only nod with her hands in her pockets as the vampire continues, "They didn't do anything wrong and you're not giving them chances to get close to you. You should try it, it's not fun being alone and I can't hang out with you all the time." Ryujin chuckles, "I don't need your advice to socialize." Yeji raises her eyebrows, "See, you're arguing with me."

Ryujin turns to her and replies, "I'll make an effort." Yeji smiles at her, "Really?" Ryujin nods, "Really. Here, I'll prove it." Yeji glances at the succubus as she separates from her and heads to Seyoung.

Seyoung notices Ryujin coming and flinches as the demon walks up to her. Ryujin replies, "Relax angel, I'm not going to hurt you." Seyoung slowly glances at her as Ryujin tosses her the scrunchie, "Beomgyu said you left that." Seyoung smiles softly and whispers weakly, "Thank you." Ryujin scoffs and leaves the angel alone. She winks at Yeji and says, "See?"

Yeji rolls her eyes as she follows behind Ryujin to talk to her teacher.

...

"How are you so good at using a bow?"

"How are you so bad at throwing a trident?"

Kai glances at the two while holding his scythe and asks, "Is everything good over there?" The grim reaper turns to the two and they both jump back. Chaeryeong says, "Watch where you point that thing." Taehyun chuckles, "I swear you're going to kill me." Kai chuckles and taps the tip of the scythe on Taehyun's nose, "Like this?" Chaeryeong shrieks as the metal makes contact with the demigod's skin but Taehyun remains unharmed.

Kai chuckles, "I can't kill immortals. Taehyun's partly immortal." Chaeryeong glares at him as Taehyun chuckles and pinches her cheeks. Chaeryeong slaps his hand away annoyed and hisses, "Don't touch me! You're the son of the god of the ocean yet you can't even throw a trident! You're a failure and a disgrace to your father!" She quickly moves away as Taehyun smiles at Kai, "Ignore her, she's just embarrassed because she actually cares about me." Kai smiles at him as he asks, "Can you really not throw a trident?"

Taehyun replies, "It's really heavy and not aerodynamically efficient. I don't see how anyone could throw this." Kai chuckles, "Maybe it works better underwater," The demigod looks at him and smiles, "Maybe you're right."