Chapter 20: Secret

"Hey Yuna!"

Yuna turns to see her roommate along with Yeji. She smiles back, "Hey! What are you guys up to?" Yeji replies, "Nothing much, we were going to meet with Kai and Taehyun to hang. Wanna come?" Yuna says, "Oh... no I'll pass." Yeji asks, "You sure? Taehyun found this really cool cove when he was out swimming with Chaeryeong." Yuna smiles softly, "It's just... Kai and I got into a really big fight. I don't want to see him right now." Yeji frowns as Lia asks, "Do you want to talk about it?" Yuna shakes her head as she says, "I was planning to study anyway. Just have fun without me, I'm fine! Really."

Lia glances at Yeji who turns to Yuna, "If you want to talk, I'm just a room across. Good luck studying." Yuna smiles nervously, "Thank you."

The fairy eyes Yeji as she runs off to the others. Yuna sighs in relief as she heads to a familiar path. It was the same path she stumbled into that one day at the forest. She was excited but at the same time scared. Yuna slowly crept into the cave as she says, "Hello? Mr. Jeon?"

Yuna pauses as she doesn't want to go any further but a voice causes her to leap forward, "You still come here." She turns her head in panic but it ends up in relief as she sees Mr. Jeon. Yuna smiles at him, "Mr. Jeon! You said you would teach me if I told no one and brought you some drinks." Mr. Jeon rolls his eyes and says, "What did you bring? And stop calling me Mr. Jeon! Just call me Jungkook."

Yuna chuckles, "Sorry, I'm not used to calling people older than me by their first names." Jungkook glances at her hands, "What did you bring?" She replies, "Blood snacks and juices! They sell it at one of the stores and Yeji told me all about it." Jungkook takes it from her hand as Yuna giggles, "So you're going to teach me?"

Jungkook asks, "Why do you want to learn alchemy? It's dangerous magic and you're just a fairy. You don't need it." Yuna says, "I don't want to be a normal boring fairy. I want to be different. I want to actually do something that matters." Jungkook devours the snack and drinks in seconds as he hums in satisfaction. He replies, "I'll teach you." Her eyes beam with happiness as Jungkook says, "But you have to pay me."

Yuna smiles, "Of course! Snacks and drinks!" Jungkook shakes his head, "Snacks and drinks are courtesy and the kindness of your heart. I want that plus more." Yuna asks, "More?" Jungkook says, "Like I told you before, the Dean warlock has me doing secret alchemist research so you can't tell anyone about me. Second, my research requires three specific beings, a vampire, a Succubus, and a grim reaper. I don't need you to bring them here, I just need to know information on them. Nothing too personal, just physical descriptions and names."

Yuna stutters, "S-so I can just tell you their names and how they look like? Then you'll teach me?" Jungkook nods as Yuna whispers, "Yeah... it's no biggy. Everyone knows them. Sure! I'll tell you!" Jungkook smiles at her as Yuna says, "I only know one Succubus. Her name's Shin Ryujin. We have the same last name but we're nowhere near related. She has umm... a strong jawline and chubby cheeks." Jungkook says, "I know Ryujin, you don't need to say what she looks like." She looks at him confused and asks, "You do? You two should—"

Jungkook interrupts, "What was my first demand?" Yuna's eyes widen as she whispers back, "Don't tell anyone about you." He nods as Yuna continues, "I know a couple of vampires. There's a lot of them but I'm close to one. Hwang Yeji. She's tall and has sharp eyes with a sharp jawline. She has long hair and a killer glare. OH! I heard her brother just transferred too. Hwang Hyunjin. They're twins so they look alike but Hyunjin is a guy and Yeji is a girl." Jungkook nods as Yuna says carefully, "I was friends with a grim reaper. But we got in a big fight and I haven't talked to him in days... His name is Huening Kai. He has a pretty smile and he's really tall. His eyes are kind of dreary but his smile is cute. He has long hair with a chiseled jawline which accentuates his smile."

Jungkook says, "You mentioned his smile two different times." Yuna quietly corrects, "Three." He sighs and says, "Doesn't matter. But yeah, I'll teach you what I know for alchemy as long as you keep these snacks coming and no one knows about me or you coming here." She smiles brightly as he asks, "What do they teach you at school?"

Yuna says, "Oh umm... just small things really. They never mentioned the law of equivalent exchange like you did. We only really use alchemy to heal plants and animals." Jungkook chuckles, "Of course they do. The law of equivalent exchange is only dangerous when you're dealing with actual lives, like humans, demons, fairies, and such... Usually when a sentient soul is involved. I'm not surprised they don't teach you this because it's incredibly risky and difficult to learn. Do you still want to learn?" Yuna nods as Jungkook smiles, "Great, okay... From my experience, people learn when under the most pressure."

Yuna asks, "What? Oh, I don't perform well under--" Jungkook ignored her and pulled out a knife from his back pocket. Her eyes widen as Jungkook stabs his stomach twice before falling on the ground in pain. Yuna almost cries as she sees him struggling to stay on his knees. Jungkook spits out blood and says, "D-draw a pentagram." Yuna wipes her tears as she stutters, "I-I've never drawn one so big." Jungkook chuckles, "Just take your time, it's not like I'm bleeding to death right now." Yuna quickly takes the chalk on top of the table in the cave as she draws a pentagram which surprisingly is symmetrically correct. Jungkook chuckles as he sits himself in the middle. He says, "N-now, there's a potted plant over there. J-just draw another pentagram in sync with this one and I'll tell you the spell." Yuna immediately runs to the plant and draws the same pentagram, starting to panic. Jungkook smiles at her proudly seeing that she is actually performing well under pressure. He takes a paper from his pocket and hands it to her, "Now, recite these words five times then--" Jungkook suddenly falls on the ground unconscious as the amount of blood he lost was too much. Yuna looks at him surprised, "J-Jungkook?"

He was dead.

Yuna quickly takes the paper and glances at the incantation. She tries to remember what her did as she slowly placed her hand on his shoulder ready to recite the words to save his life like he did to hers. But as she was about to chant out the spell, the thought of the law of equivalent exchange goes to her mind. Yuna whispers, "W-wait... the plant won't be enough..." She backs her hand away in regret as she whispers, "I-I have to find something bigger... B-but, I can't leave him like this... I TOLD YOU I DON'T PERFORM WELL UNDER PRESSURE!" Yuna places both her hands on his shoulder again as she places her left leg on the pentagram. She whispers, "You gave me my leg, I'll give you your life back." As she was about to chant the spell, Jungkook stood up perfectly fine and stopped her from speaking.

Yuna's eyes widen as he says, "Rule number one of alchemy. Do not even revive someone from the dead. You didn't even check if I was alive. You could have been killed." Yuna looks at him confused as Jungkook says, "If you try to revive someone from the dead, you could lose your life or something important to you. If you do it wrong, you would lose a part of you and the spell will not work. I admire your dedication, though." Yuna nods, wiping her tears as he says, "You need to stop crying."

Yuna says, "I thought you were dying! How are you still alive?" Jungkook's eyes turn bright red as his fangs extend, "I'm a vampire." She looks at him in awe as he says, "You did good. I'll actually teach you now. That was just a test really and you passed." Yuna nods starting to have second thoughts learning from this stranger as Jungkook says, "I'll teach you the ways of the old alchemy. Something no one knows how to do anymore and something that isn't taught to the younger generation. You would be the only one who can perform this and you'll be the very first fairy alchemist, Shin Yuna." Yuna falls into temptation as she smiles and nods at the vampire as Jungkook chuckles, "You can leave, we'll start tomorrow."