Chapter 28: Just Friends

Hyunjin's classes finally finish after a dreadful day of boredom. School was already boring but with his only friend skipping all her classes, it was extra boring. He quickly turned into a bat and started flying through the shade of the island. He had to find Ryujin. He didn't feel right leaving her alone despite her having clearly no romantic feelings for him. Hyunjin was still her friend.

Hyunjin sighs with flashbacks of Ryujin and Beomgyu on the cliffside replaying in his head. He quickly groans and shakes his head as he flies faster to find some company.

At long last, he found her under some random tree with a textbook on her face to cover the light around her. Hyunjin turns back into his human form and huffs in exhaustion. He slowly walks up to the sleeping Ryujin and sits next to her. Hyunjin slowly removes the book from her face and smiles seeing her gentle countenance as she sleeps. He whispers, "I swear this is the only time she's calm..."

Hyunjin quickly closes the book and places it to the side as he grabs a marker from her bag not too far from her sleeping body. He ruffles inside until he finds a marker and moves back to draw on her face. As the tip of the marker was about to make contact with her skin, Ryujin's eyes opened and her arm darted out to grab his wrist. Hyunjin's eyes widen as he whispers with full regret, "I-I wasn't going to–"

Ryujin catches him by surprise and flips him over then sits on his stomach to keep him down. Hyunjin can't help but yelp as Ryujin takes the marker from his hand and traps his arms under her knees as she kneels on him. Ryujin scoffs, "How the tables have turned? What should I draw? Or write?"

Hyunjin tried to bounce up but all the force of her body was directly on top of him. He says as he struggles to get her off him, "Y-you seem to be in a better mood." Ryujin suddenly blushes remembering her dream. Like Hyunjin, she replayed that memory of Beomgyu on the cliffside.

Hyunjin finds his opportunity and quickly springs up causing Ryujin to fall on her butt. He laughs and helps her up after she shakes her head clearing her thoughts. Hyunjin gestures towards his lips and says, "You haven't been eating, right? You must be hungry."

Ryujin tries her best to keep her stoic demeanor and replies, "I'm not hungry." Hyunjin teases, "You haven't been cheating on me, right?" She scoffs and says, "No, I have not. I'm just... not hungry."

Hyunjin raises his eyebrow as he says, "Yeji was talking with the others while you were off with your angel boyfriend yesterday." Ryujin glares at him, "He's not my–'' Hyunjin says, "She got everyone to promise not to tell anyone. But... It doesn't seem like it's sitting well with everyone. Seyoung's still scared of you... Chaeryeong feels betrayed and Taehyun's been trying to calm her down. Yeji already knew and Yeonjun doesn't really mind it all. Yuna and Kai are surprisingly nonchalant about it. You already know your angel boyfriend is on your side."

Ryujin asks a bit unsure, "And you?" Hyunjin stares at her seriously, "Well, I hate you with all my heart." She makes eye contact with him which makes her realize he was joking and chuckles as he laughs along. Ryujin punches his arm as she whispers, "Thanks."

Hyunjin sighs as he plops down on his butt under the tree as Ryujin joins him. He asks, "Is Beomgyu the reason you're not hungry?" Ryujin stays quiet then answers, "I don't know... I've never fed off love before. He's in love with Seyoung so I don't know why I'm not hungry. It's not like he's here with me right now. I-I don't know, this is new to me." Hyunjin chuckles, "Yeah, it's confusing... You know, I really tried to feed you love."

Ryujin turns her head as Hyunjin scoffs while picking up a rock and throwing it away, "I guess it had to be mutual or something... Maybe he does like you but he doesn't know it yet." She replies, "He's with Seyoung." Hyunjin answers, "That's true." She answers, "Maybe it is you. Maybe you're the reason."