Chapter 2

♣ Casper ♣

When Marino Lavender asked me to protect his sister, I wasn't expecting somebody with such a mouth.

It's definitely gotten me more curious as to what he did to make him fear for her life. And when I want answers, I always get them.

He entered my house, getting here minutes after I told him to. Marino and I may not be on bad terms, but he knows I'd still kill him in the blink of an eye.

We remained standing in the hallway. He didn't need to come further inside my house. I asked him, "What did you do, Lavender? You wouldn't ask for my help unless you did something really bad."

Yesterday while I was waiting to meet with some young fucking idiot about doing a hit, Marino called me. Worry coated his voice as he asked me if I could look over his little sister for the 2 months before she leaves for Madrid. Told me he fucked up, but he'd meet me later that night to tell me. He also told me she's been down lately, so I should 'Try and be less of an asshole than usual.'

Then she walked into the library. I wasn't expecting somebody so beautiful. Not only in her looks, but the way she spoke and carried herself. 

"I did something really fucking impulsive and dumb," He shook his head while rubbing his forehead.

"Well? What is it?"

"I killed the dons son."

Jesus fucking Christ. 

"You did what you fucking moron?" I asked through gritted teeth.

Marino works for the don, but I don't. He's basically their bitch, doing deals and trades for him, getting information for him, etc. I don't work for anybody but myself. People in our world ask me to do hits for them, and if the money is good, I do it. 

"I know. It was dumb. But if he finds out that it was me, he's going to kill my family and he knows my sister is the most important to me. She's leaving in 2 months, and after that you'll never have to do it again. I can't be watching over her all the time, I'm one of the people he has looking into it so I need to throw them off of the trail that leads to me."

My eyebrows lowered at him. I asked, "Why'd you kill him?"

"Complicated," He vaguely shrugged.

I looked up at the clock and saw that it was almost 3. I'd press him for some more answers if Lex wasn't going to study soon. I rubbed my jawline while telling him, "I will watch over her for as long as I can stand her mouth. Understand?"

"Understand. Thank you Casper, I owe you one."

He does. And I know exactly what I will ask of him in return.

He left and I got something in my kitchen before getting into my car, driving to her university. I walked through the doors of the library and felt dozens of eyes on me. The students here know nothing about me besides my name, no matter how hard the girls try. I'm a closed book that will not be opening anytime soon.

My gaze fell on Lex, who was looking at a book and writing on a piece of paper. Her long wavy brown hair fell in front of her shoulders, but she quickly moved it back. I walked over to her table and sat across from her, her hazel eyes widening slightly. She told me, "Wow. I wasn't expecting you to actually show up."

"What can I say, I have a passion for learning."

A smile slowly formed on her plump lips, "Really? If you're an engineer, why would you care about nursing?"

Shit. I told her that we worked together, but I didn't know Marino told her he was an engineer. 

Her eyes fell onto the drink I had placed on the desk. I slid it towards her and told her, "It's for you."