Chapter 16

I wrote down some notes as a soft knock came from my bedroom door. I turned around in my chair and Marino entered, "Hey. Do you want to go and get some lunch?"

I was just looking for an excuse to stop studying, so I nodded. Casper isn't coming for another 6 hours, so I have some time to kill.

We went to a new place that Marino picked out. I didn't really care where we ate, I was hungry enough for anything. 

We sat down at a table and ordered our drinks before flipping through the menu. He asked me, "Do you have everything you need for Madrid? I can go with you if there's still stuff you need to buy."

I shook my head, "No, I have everything I think. Are you going to come and visit me on my breaks?"

"Hopefully, as long as the don never finds out about his son. I was going to go AWOL once you left and hide from the don, but I don't want to lose my freedom and constantly be scared of him finding me," He shrugged.

"Can't you just leave?" I asked.

He laughed. He shook his head, "No. You can't just leave the mafia. You either die or go into hiding, no other options."

I felt kind of sad that Marino would constantly be involved in the crime that goes on within the mafia. I asked, "So the person you pinned it on is in hiding?"

"Yup. His name is Diego, he's been hiding for years. There hasn't been a single word from him so I assume he's long gone, making him the perfect person to blame. They'll never find him to question him and it'll take the suspicion off of anybody else."

I nodded as the waitress came back to our table. We ordered our food, and it was brought out pretty quickly.

Through bites, I asked him, "Does the don believe Diego did it?"

"Right now, that's what he thinks. He just needs to keep thinking that," He replied before biting into his burger.

I took a sip of my water. I asked him, "Where should I work while I'm in Madrid? I need to be able to afford groceries and everything. I was thinking of working in a cafe, what do you think?"

"Don't work. School is hard enough on its own, just focus on your schoolwork. I'll send you money weekly to make sure you can buy food or anything else you need," He told me.

"Marino, you don't have to do that. I can work-"

"Mmm this burger is so good," He cut me off to make me stop talking. I laughed, continuing to eat my food. 

♣ Casper ♣

I stepped over the dead body of the man I just killed, walking back to my car. $300,000 to kill a man I'll never think about again.

I have to go home and get ready for the party now before I pick up Lex. I'm sure the don won't be too thrilled to hear it was a one time thing, but I don't want him harassing me to kill more people for him. 

I also need to go and collect the 300k from the person who ordered this hit. 

My phone started to vibrate as I drove, so I picked it up. Detroit spoke, "Good news Casper. The don 100% believes it was Diego and he has people searching for him now. But since he hasn't been heard from in years, I doubt they'll find him."

Good. Now he'll never know Lavender did it, and Lex will remain safe. Although he doesn't know now, things could change. Which is why I'm going to continue and protect Lex for the next month until she leaves, because things could change at any given moment.

"Thanks for letting me know. Are you going to the dinner party later?"

"Are you kidding me? I'm wherever the alcohol is. I invited Bella, but her family wants her to spend some time with them today so she can't come. Aurelia coming?" He asked me.