Chapter 17

I held her close to me, her safety being my priority. 

More gunshots fired from a different room, and I would've gone out there if Lex wasn't with me.

She looked at me and whispered, "Are you okay? Is Marino okay?"

"Don't worry darling," I said in a comforting voice, "We're both okay. Now I'm gonna get you out of here."

I looked back around the table. Guns were firing repeatedly in a different room, so people were using the opportunity to run out. There was another table closer to the door that we could run to the door from if we could get there.

I was about to shield her as we ran when a hand pulling on my arm prevented me. The man who owed me whispered, "I'm going to run out. Come with me so you can collect your money."

I wasn't going to put Lex's life in danger just for some money. I told him, "Just forget it."

He looked surprised at my words. He asked me, "But what about my son? I swear I have the money-"

"Shut the fuck up.  I don't care about your money or son," I cut him off. Right now I only care about Lex.

He looked relieved before smiling slightly and running towards the back door. I squeezed Lex's arm slightly as I told her, "We're going to run to that table sweetheart, okay?"

I waited until she nodded her head to run with her to the table, ducking underneath it after. I could tell that she was scared, but pretending to be brave. I looked around the table one more time and told her, "Now the door."

She nodded and we ran out, but I kept my gun pulled out just in case. Once we were outside I went with her to my car, running to the passengers side door. I opened the door and she got in. I crouched down and looked at her, "I'm gonna go inside and figure out what the fuck is going on. Stay in here and don't get out no matter what. There is a gun underneath the backseat if you need it."

She opened her mouth to protest but I closed the car door, running back inside. I couldn't hear any more gunshots, but I could hear the dons men talking from a different room. I walked in with my gun aimed, but lowered seeing only his men standing around.

Detroit and Marino walked up to me the second they noticed I entered the room. Marino asked in a worried voice, "Is Aurelia okay?"

"She's fine. What the fuck was that?" I asked, looking at all of the confused men.

Detroit rubbed his forehead, "We have no idea. We don't know who fired the shots or why."

My eyebrows lowered, "What the fuck do you mean you don't know?"

"They were firing from a different room," Marino explained, "But when we entered they were gone. We didn't see who it was. We're going to figure this shit out by getting all security footage from nearby buildings, it's unclear who their target was."

I rolled my eyes. The don will probably figure out who it was in a few days. I told Detroit, "Keep me updated, okay?"

He nodded and Marino asked, "Can Aurelia spend the night at your house? I probably won't be home for a few hours."

"Of course. Let me know if you guys learn anything new," I replied.

I walked back to the car, getting in. I sped away quickly, wanting to get far away from that shit show. 

Lex was giving me a death glare, "Don't do that shit again you idiot! You could've been going to your death."

"Aw, worried about me?" I smirked at her, trying to lighten the mood.