Chapter 10

I've been shot, I've been stabbed, I've been betrayed. But none of those compare to the way that I'm feeling right now.

Yet I don't even know what I'm feeling. I just know I'm feeling something, and I don't like it. Call after call, they all went unanswered. Every time I showed up at her house, she was never there. I found out that she's been staying with Bella, so she must really not want to see me.

But she didn't tell Marino. He's been keeping me updated on pinning the death on Diego, and it's working. Yet I can't bring myself to focus on that or any hits, because I can't get Lex out of my mind.

I never noticed how much I enjoyed being around her until she didn't want to be around me.

Here I was for the fifth time, waiting in the library for her. I haven't seen her hazel eyes or warm smile in a week. Every time a brunette would enter the library my eyes would shoot up, but it was never her.

She's avoiding me. She's finally scared of me, just like everybody else.

Even though I was sitting in the library, I still tried to call her again. No answer.

I frustratedly hit my hand against the table in front of me, making the students in proximity jump or stare. I exited the library, needing to blow off some steam.

But I'm the same, I'm predictable. I get mad, I kill, I get over it, repeat. But this time I wasn't mad at somebody else - I was mad at myself.

I sat in my car, dialing the number of the person I hate most in the world. After two rings the don picked up, "Armani. What the hell do you want from me now? Are you gonna kill more of my men, set more of my warehouses on fire?"

"I want a hit."

He went silent. I bet he never thought he would hear those words from me. He finally spoke, "I'm glad you've finally come to your senses. I will send you the information on a man I'd like dead within the next few hours."

"It'll be done within the next few minutes," I replied before hanging up.

Almost instantly I was given a name and an address. I pressed the gas pedal and drove to the house, ready to kill. 

It was a regular sized house - not big, not small. One man $200,000 in debt lived here that was about to pay for his drug addiction. I smashed the window to the house, definitely not taking the calm approach that I usually take.

He started to run out of the living room but I fired bullets in the direction that he was going to run in, stopping him. He sank to the ground in fear, hands covering his face and back pressed against the wall. He begged, "Please don't! I promise I'll have the money tomorrow!"

I rolled my eyes at his bullshit, keeping my gun pointed at him. I looked around his house that was missing furniture and had garbage scattered everywhere. I asked him, "Do you have a family, Mike?"

"No, I never got married. But I want to! Please give me the chance by keeping me alive!"

I sighed, "You're like what, 45? You've had your time."

I took a step towards him and he shuttered. I slowly kneeled down to be at the same level as him, looking him up and down. I asked, "So you've never cared for a woman?" 

"Of course I have, but that was long ago. I didn't tell her my feelings until it was too late," He said while stuttering on some of his words.

I nodded my head one single time. I asked him, "What do you do when the girl you care for wants nothing to do with you?"

"I let her go because I was a coward," He shrugged. 

"Well, I'm not. I've grown to care for this girl, yet she caught me killing somebody. Now she's afraid of me and has been hiding from me for the past week," I explained to the man I was about to kill, "So what do I do now, Mike?"