Chapter 34

Detroit glanced at me. I stood tensely, my jaw clenched.

"How do you know that?" I managed to ask.

He let out a slight laugh, but it wasn't out of humour. It was out of frustration. He pointed to his broken computer and angrily explained, "Finally managed to get the security footage back, and he shot him dead before loading his dead body into the trunk of his shitty ass car!"

"So what are you gonna do?" Detroit asked, trying his best to hide his nerves.

"I'm gonna fucking KILL HIM!" He yelled, his voice echoing off of the walls.

I felt frozen. I couldn't just stand by and let him kill Lex's brother.

He pulled his gun out of his pocket before loading it. He started to storm out of the room to go and kill him when I called out, "Wait."

He stopped in his tracks, looking at me over his shoulder. I may have failed to protect Lex last time, but I wouldn't fail this time.

"I'll work for you," I told him. I fought my face from showing the disgust I was feeling.

Detroits eyes widened like he couldn't believe what I just said. The don asked with lowered eyebrows, "The fuck are you talking about, Armani?"

I took slow steps over to him. I'm doing this for Lex. 

I stood face to face with the man I hated most. I told him, "Don't kill Marino and let him leave this world, and I'll work for you."

He made a face of disbelief. He has been trying to get me to work for him for years, and now I'm handing him that on a silver platter. 

He looked me up and down. I kept my face emotionless - hiding my heartbreak. Hiding the fact that tears were fighting to form in my eyes.

"Two years. Two full years you have to work for me, and I won't kill Lavender," The don held his hand out for me to shake.

Two years. 

Meaning I can't go to Madrid with Lex. 

Meaning I can't propose tonight.

Meaning my heart is in a million pieces, knowing I can't go with the girl I love.

But, it also means her brother stays alive. Which protects her from falling apart.

And I want to protect her.

I shook his hand, "Deal."

His anger was now replaced by a smile. He quoted what I once said to him, "I guess now you're my fucking bitch."

He ordered Detroit, "Clean up my office."

He exited, leaving Detroit and me alone now. He stared at me sympathetically, knowing what was going on in my mind. He started, "Casper-"

I held my hand up, signaling that I didn't want to talk. I exited the room slowly, walking down the hallway of the man I now worked for. For 2 fucking years.

Once I pushed the door open to the outside, my eyes filled with tears. All I wanted was to spend my life with her.

I stopped before my car, pulling out my phone. Marino picked up, "Hello?"

"You're out, Marino. You're done."

"Done with what?"

I rubbed my jawline frustratedly, "The don got the security footage and saw that you killed his son. But I made a deal with him, I'd work for him if he let you go and live. He agreed, so you're done."

He started to say something, but I ended the call anyways. 

I drove down the road to my house, feeling numb. I know this news is going to hurt Lex so much.