Chapter 11

He took slow steps over to the desk I was sitting at, the air feeling heavy. I was staring at the ground, scared to look up.

"Look at me," He ordered.

I gulped. I looked up while taking a breath, knowing that he could be planning on killing me. But when my eyes met him my eyebrows went down, confusion coating my face.

He held the bouquet of flowers out for me to take. He whispered, "I'm sorry Lex."

I didn't accept his flowers. I pushed back in my chair and choked out, "You killed somebody."

He sighed, placing the flowers down on the desk between us. He rubbed his jaw for a few seconds before whispering something to himself, moving his hand back to his side, "Fuck. Marino is probably going to kill me for telling you this but I don't care. It's a long story, Lex. Please come back to my house with me and let me explain."

"What does Marino have to do with this?" I asked.

"If you just come with me I promise I'll explain, Lex," He said softly, looking at me with warmth in his eyes.

I just sat there. I've seen him kill somebody, how do I know that he's not just going to kill me if I go with him?

He put the palms of his hands on the desk and leaned forward, "I would never hurt you, Lex. Don't be afraid."

His words felt genuine and his face showed no signs of deceit. I want to know what Marino has to do with this. 

I nodded, "Okay."

A small smile formed on his face as I stood up, grabbing my things and the bouquet of flowers. As I walked with him to his car he kept a hand on my back, which even though it should've scared me, it didn't.

We drove down the road to his house, silence filling the car. He suddenly spoke up, "You were ignoring my calls."

"Yes, I was."

"It wasn't very nice."

I rolled my eyes, "I don't think killing somebody is very nice either."

"That's true. But we're different, Lex."

"How?"

"You're good and I'm not."

His sentence caught me by surprise. It made me question what he was going to tell me once we were at his house. 

I remained silent for the rest of the drive. Once we were in his garage I got out, following him into his house. It was just as beautiful as I remembered.

He started walking towards a room, so I followed him. When we entered I realized it was an office, and I didn't understand why he was showing me this. He walked over to his desk, pulling files after files out and tossing them onto his desk.

There were probably a few hundred files scattered on the desk now. I asked him, "What is this?"

"It's a file of everybody I've killed since I moved to New York."

My heart felt like it stopped beating and my blood went cold. He corrected, "Sorry. I mean everybody that I've been paid to kill. That's why Lucien doesn't have a file."

I took a step backward and whispered, "Why?"

He took a few steps forward, making me stepping back useless. He looked at me with confidence as he said, "I'm an assassin, not an engineer."

I scoffed, "You can't just be a serial killer and then say you're an assassin to make it sound better."

"Can you name where Marino works?" He suddenly asked me.