Chapter 22

Crossing the border was easy, and then it wasn't much longer until we got to our hotel.

The hotel room was beautiful and we had a direct view of the falls. It was dark now, but there was still a couple of hours until I usually go to bed. 

I cheerfully ran over to Casper, giving him a hug. He held me close to him and asked, "Do you want to stay in here for the night? Or do you want to go out and look around?"

"I want to look around!" I smiled while pulling away, looking up at him.

He nodded and tucked some hair behind my ear. I grabbed a jacket before leaving since mid December was fast approaching and each passing day got colder and colder.

We walked out of our hotel, the falls only being a few minutes away. I held onto his arm as we walked and asked him, "How many times have you been here?"

"Just once," He replied.

"And when was that?" I asked, wanting to hear more about him.

I could feel his arm tense a little, "I don't think it's a story you want to hear when we're doing something fun."

"I do," I told him softly.

He looked at me for a second, looking as if he was trying to figure out if he should tell me or not. He nodded before starting to talk, "A few years ago I was questioning my life. I was feeling bored of my life, having nothing but a lust for murder. I got in my car one day after doing a hit, feeling completely numb. I drove to Canada, wanting to just be in a different country for a second. Made my way to the falls, and I just stood and watched for hours. Kept thinking about just jumping in, but could never bring myself to do it."

My heart felt so sad for him and I could feel my lips part. He continued, "Which is why I understand your need to go to Madrid. Sometimes life gets boring, and you need something new."

We approached the falls and the sound of the water rushing filled the air. They were getting lit up by purple lights and I turned to look at Casper. I grabbed his hands in mine and asked him, "Can I ask you something selfish?"

He nodded his head. I hesitated for a second before asking him, "Will you wait for me? I wish more than anything you could come with me to Madrid and be somewhere new, but I know you can't. And I wish I could cancel my plans, but my parents have already paid and I already signed all of the papers to stop being a student once January starts. I still want to be with you, Casper. I will wait these three years if you will. I can come back in December and in the summers, but I want you to wait for me."

I could feel the nervousness on my face while I waited for him to respond. The cold December wind blew my hair back slightly as I waited in anticipation. Casper told me he loves me, but that doesn't mean he will want to wait three years.

The corners of his mouth turned up, "I could never love another woman besides you, Lex."

A huge smile slowly formed on my face as he pressed his lips against mine, making my heart skip a beat like usual. Once he pulled away he looked me in my eyes before telling me, "I think there might be a way for me to get to Spain."

My face lit up and my eyes widened, "Really? How?"

His hands went to the sides of my face. He licked his bottom lip before telling me, "It might be a long shot. It might not work. It might take a while. But I'm going to try it, for you."

I was smiling as if I just got the best news of my life. A cold feeling hit my face, making me lower my eyebrows and look up.

"Casper! It's snowing!"