Chapter 12

I sat on his couch beside him, holding my plate of food. When he said he was going to order food, I was expecting pizza or something. But instead, he got chicken, potatoes, and vegetables that looked like a 5 star restaurant cooked it.

I swallowed my food, trying to gather the courage to ask him a question. I took a deep breath and finally asked, "Does you being an assassin have to do with why you left Italy?"

He paused. He put his now empty plate on the table in front of him before leaning back on the couch. He told me, "You've already learned a lot today. I think talking about Italy would be too much."

"I've seen you kill somebody, Casper. You don't know how much I can handle."

He smiled slightly, nodding his head.

"It does."

I put my plate in front of me before turning to face him on the couch.

He explained to me, "I was an assassin for Leonard - the Italian don. Did lots of hits for him, helped him execute plans, all that shit. But at the time, I was 19. I started to like the power, and I wanted more of it. I wanted to feel more power than just from people begging for their lives before I killed them. So, I came up with a plan. I was going to kill him and take his place."

My eyes widened at his words.

He continued, "I had a whole plan. It was bulletproof - it was nearly bulletproof. I worked for him for 2 more years until I was 21, gaining his trust. I did everything he asked of me for the next 2 years, until I became his best and most trusted man. He told me his every move."

"So...did it work?" I asked.

"Almost. I had everything in place, everything completely lined up. I had explosives planted in a building that I told him we were meeting one of Italy's richest men at. I was camping out the building, waiting for him to arrive to set off the explosives. But that was when somebody I trusted showed up.  I went over and told them to leave, he was going to be here any second. Thats when they told me he wasn't coming, because they told him. They were telling me to give me a heads up, to give me time to run. Leonard is ruthless, and he would love to see me dead. I managed to get on a flight, and it just happened to be going to New York. But I can't have anyone here knowing about Italy because if the don here found out I betrayed Leonard he would use my life as a peace offering since they've been at each others throats for years."

It really was a lot to take in. I never would've thought that this was Caspers life when I met him in the library. 

"So you can't go back to Italy?"

He shook his head, "No. He has a list of people who he wants dead more than anything in the world, and I'm on the list. He monitors every single airport in Europe, and he would know if I landed anywhere."

My heart felt so sad for him. It must be terrible not being able to go back to your home and see your family. 

But I also grew sad realizing he would never be able to come to Spain. Not that I was expecting him to or anything. I just hadn't realized that in a month and a half I would never see him again. 

"I'm not like that anymore. I don't crave that kind of power. But when I met Detroit my first day here and found out he was an assassin because he was drunk and let it slip, I wanted in. Killing is the only thing I've ever known since I was 18," He told me.

I asked, "What got you into it? And do you ever plan on stopping?"

"I was very poor growing up. Ended up selling drugs, weapons, shit like that. Someone who worked for Leonard brought me in and I started training, and once I did it once I just never stopped. I don't think I'll ever stop....I'm a killer. It's just who I am."