"You're the only one who gets to call me that you know."

Long time, no see, friends! I'm here to give you another oneshot! I really enjoyed writing this one, even if it did end up taking a different turn than I expected. I hope you enjoy it too! An alternative title to this could be "Oh to be young and in love" as you will see there is a double meaning to this phrase that is explored at the very beginning and then again at the end.

I think the prompt was from Pinterest but it also could've been from Tumblr. Enjoy and don't forget to drop a star or a comment even just to say hi! I love getting to hear from you all :)

...

"You're the only one who gets to call me that you know."

Oh to be young and in love.

Those were the words that everyone seemed to throw around about Alexander and Eliza. It was always mocking in a way that made it seem like they wouldn't be together forever, that they couldn't last because they were so young. They didn't know what love was, but because they were so young, being in love was frivolous and giddy. Those words were never a compliment when aimed at them.

Barely sixteen years old, they thought their life and their love were perfect. Despite everyone who came against them, grandparents, teachers, classmates, they remained strong in their love. It didn't matter what others were saying about them, they seemed mature in their understanding of what responsibility in a relationship meant.

In between homework and papers, they found time to settle at either of their parents' houses, cuddled up on the couch watching a movie or making some odd concoction in the kitchen (which usually ended with ingredients all over their faces and clothes, and a little scattered across the island).

They each had their own kinds of hobbies, and they gladly supported the other in their endeavors. Eliza would show up to each one of Alexander's debate competitions, and even though she didn't always quite know what they were talking about, she'd always gladly cheer her boyfriend on and ask for a run-down later.

"Hmm, and that means...?" Eliza asked, twirling a piece of Alexander's hair around her finger as she leaned into his side and looked up at his eyes. She thought he looked so handsome with button down dress shirt and suit coat that matched, all dressed up for the competition.

He laughed and took her hand away from his hair gently, kissing her knuckles and rubbing the back of her hand. "It means that I won again, my little nut brown maid. Or more importantly, Jefferson has once again been defeated by me."

"Hmm, well that does sound perfect," Eliza mused. "I'm quite proud of you, my dear."

In the meantime, Eliza was heavily involved in the fine arts aspect of school. She was in the choir and she tended to get the leads in her school's musicals. There was one night that spring where she got to play Belle in their school's production of Beauty and the Beast. It was one of her top dream roles, and she had nearly fallen over backwards in shock when she found out that she got the role.

Eliza was incredibly nervous for opening night as Belle, which was a new feeling for her. She never really got overly nervous before performances; she'd been active in theatre since she was ten years old. But suddenly she was doubting any ability she thought she had.

She thought she was going to throw up the second she walked off the stage after curtain call. All that was running through her mind was if she forgot any lines, if that one note she always messed up was correct, or if anyone noticed her going sharp in the opening number. And of course it didn't help that the girls playing the silly girls in the show were the ones constantly judging her performances, clearly jealous, yet nevertheless brutal.