"You got her pregnant?! What were you thinking?" Prequel

Thought I would do a little prequel to "You got her pregnant?! What were you thinking?". Hope you enjoy!

Also... I'm running out of ideas that I like, so please if you want to see something in particular, go ahead and send me a prompt in the comments or dm! I'd love getting feedback about what you all actually want to read!

...

Prequel to "You got her pregnant?!" 

Standing on the cold floor of her bathroom, Eliza looked down at the counter in front of her as her timer went off. She stared at the three tests in front of her—the three tests that could change her life forever.    

Positive.

Positive.

Positive.

She screeched and cried, pulling her hands over her eyes. All she could do was sob and continually repeat, "No," over and over again. "This can't be happening right now. I need to finish up my senior year, go to college, get married, and get a job!" she thought to herself as hot tears flowed down her face.

"Eliza?" She heard after what she thought was hours (but was actually a mere twenty minutes), followed by a knock on the door. She gasped and pushed the tests into her sweater pocket. "Are you okay? It sounds like you're crying, babe."

Alexander. He was supposed to take her out for breakfast that morning, and he must have just shown up.

"I'm fine," she responded, grabbing a Kleenex off the counter to dab at her tear-stained face. She tossed the Kleenex and unlocked the door, opening it to meet eyes with her concerned boyfriend. "Really... I'm all right; I'll be okay," she gave a small smile as she tried to assure him. "I promise."

Alexander had to roll his eyes at this. "Eliza Schuyler, either you are the worst actress ever, or I know you too well to know that you aren't okay." He tenderly placed a hand on her cheek, rubbing it softly. Poor Eliza couldn't keep her tears in easily. She bit her lip, remaining mum. "What's wrong?"

More tears spilled from her eyelids. She let them freely fall down her soft, pink cheeks as she whispered, "I can't, Alexander. I. Can't."

Alex hated seeing Eliza cry. It hurt his heart and ripped it to pieces. "Eliza," his voice cracked, "you can't what? I want to help you."

"I can't tell you right now. I want to, but I can't." She wiped her tears away, feeling confident that she wouldn't cry anymore. "Can you just... hold me?"

"Of course. Yeah." There was no use in arguing with Eliza right now. He pulled her into his arms and pressed his lips to her forehead gently. "I'm here for you, okay?"

She didn't respond, only taking in his sweet scent and warm embrace. All she could think of was how the hell she was going to tell him that he was going to be a father at eighteen.

...

"How am I going to tell mom, Angie? I'm not even eighteen yet! Not for a few months and even that's still young!" Eliza asked her sister over the phone. Angelica was off at college, finishing up her freshman year. "I just found out yesterday, and Alex doesn't know, but he's suspecting something, and I don't know what to do..."

"Eliza! Calm down, take deep breaths, stop rambling. It will be okay. Just tell mom get in for an appointment, and when you get more information, gently deliver the news to Alexander. I know it must be nerve-racking, but if he doesn't stay with you, he's a jerk and he doesn't deserve you. And Alex knows that if he hurts you, I'll personally beat him up for you."

All Angelica could hear was sniffle from the other side of the phone. "Okay. I'll let you know how everything goes. Love you."

"I love you, too, Eliza. Good luck. Tell Peggy that I love her and give her a hug for me."

"I will. Bye."

Eliza sighed, tossing her phone onto her bed. She hadn't a clue how to tell her mother, or how she'd even respond. Eliza couldn't even dream of burdening her mother with this news. But she had to.

"Mama?" Eliza called, her eyes watering up again. She left her room, looking for her mother. "Mom," she said once again when she reached her mother's room. Catherine turned from her work when she heard her daughter's distress. "I need to talk to you. I have something I need to tell you about."

"Is everything all right?"

Eliza shook her head. Both sat down on the soft bed, silent for a moment. "No, nothing is okay, Mom." Eliza sucked in a deep breath and interlocked her fingers together in attempt to stop her hands from shaking. It didn't work. "I'm pregnant, and it's Alex's baby," she eventually choked out.

Catherine was stunned. Eliza was the last person she'd ever expect to be in this situation. She could tell how nervous her daughter was, as she saw Eliza shaking still, more tears slipping speedily down her face. "And you were careful?" was all that the mother could manage to say.

Eliza nodded. "It was only once, and we used protection." She wiped her eyes with her long sleeve, calming down only at the sight of her mother's placid face.

There was more silence. And more. And a little more before Catherine spoke, "Does Alexander know?" Eliza shook her head. "Why don't I take you to the doctor's office, get everything checked out, and then you need to tell Alexander. He deserves to know."

"Okay," Eliza whispered. She couldn't believe she was in this situation. "I'm so scared, Mama. I'm terrified! I don't know what or how to feel, and it absolutely terrifies me. I'm not ready for this—I haven't even finished high school yet! I can't be a mother."

Catherine pulled her middle daughter into her arms, just like she used to do when Eliza was a little girl. "It will be okay, Liza. I'm here for you, all right? You won't go through this alone."

Eliza smiled at her mother's words. "Thank you, Mom. Thank you for not leaving me."

Catherine rubbed up and down Eliza's arms.

"Why don't I call the doctor's office and see if I can get you in this afternoon, all right?" Catherine suggested.

"All right."

Catherine left the room to make the call, leaving Eliza to herself. Eliza fiddled with her thumbs, thinking of ways she could tell Alex. She was so relieved that her mother responded so well. She could only hope that Alex would respond the same way.