"I Can't Go Back to Sleep After that [Nightmare]."

Requested prompt found on Pinterest from sofaroffbway . Thanks for the idea and thank you for reading, liking, and commenting!

Please like and comment, and either leave a comment or DM me if you have any requests!

...

"I can't go back to sleep after that [nightmare]. I need coffee... no, I need a drink--a stiff one at that."

Alexander Hamilton was nervous.

His girlfriend of five years had sent him a text: Meet me at the coffee shop right off campus. We need to talk.

So there he was. Sitting in their coffee shop, anxiously waiting for Eliza to arrive. He wouldn't have been so nervous if she hadn't said those four fateful words: we need to talk. Nobody in a relationship wants to hear those words, and Alexander especially didn't want to hear those words. He never expected he'd hear those words.

Eliza walked in no more than ten minutes after Alexander arrived. Her usually bubbly smile and addictive personality were replaced with a frown, and she seemed to blend in with everyone around her. That wasn't normal. She usually lit up a room with her laugh and constant smile, but instead, she seemed to be like everyone else.

"Eliza." He smiled and handed her the coffee he had bought her.

She still didn't smile. She only took the coffee cup and sat down across from him. Playing with the cap of the cup, Eliza cut to the chase, "This isn't working."

Alexander's heart sped up. Surely she couldn't mean them, right? "What do you mean? What isn't working?"

She rolled her eyes and shook her head, and it was as if it that swift motion caused the storm that immediately began outside. Wind, rain, thunder, and lightning suddenly inundated the weather outside. Alexander knew that as one thing--a brewing hurricane.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about, Alexander. We aren't working." She fiddled with her fingers absentmindedly, though she didn't seem to give a care about how this news would affect her boyfriend.

Hamilton, on the other hand, was particularly confused. Things seemed to be going better than ever in their relationship. When did Eliza suddenly get the idea that they weren't working as a couple anymore? What had he done wrong?

His face fell, and that smile he gave her when she walked into the coffee shop was long gone. He wasn't supposing it would be back soon either.

"Are you going to say anything?" Eliza asked rather forcefully. Perhaps she was hoping to rip the Band-Aid off quickly and get on with her life. Or perhaps she was just that done, and Alexander dragging this out made things worse.

"Eliza, I love you. I didn't think you were unhappy with me." His voice quaked and he reached his hand to grab hers. She pulled it away quickly and placed both hands under the table.

"Maybe we just weren't meant to be together. Most people who start dating in high school don't end up together in the end. I don't want to marry you anymore." There were tears welling up in her eyes and threatening to fall as she uttered that last sentence, but she didn't let Alexander see that. It was much harder to admit out loud than she had thought.

"What?" he whispered, clearly hurt by her words. Since when did Eliza not want to marry him? They've been talking about getting married since they were merely sixteen! He slumped down in his chair, wanting to throw his half empty cup of coffee to the ground. The only other times he felt so defeated was when his mother died and when he and his mother were in the hands of his abusive father.