"This is the best thing anyone could do for me"

Fun fact about this next chapter: I actually wrote it years ago when I was either a junior or senior in high school! I recently found it again and decided to (heavily) edit it and make it more readable. I hope you enjoy it!

Alsooo... is everyone else as excited about the Hamilfilm as I am?! I seriously cannot wait!

...

"This is the best thing anyone could do for me"

Alexander Hamilton was on a mission. Recently, his girlfriend's father was given weeks to live after a long battle fighting lung cancer. He relapsed back in November and this time it looked as if it was his final battle. The doctors and nurses were right; Philip Schuyler only had a short time left on this earth. That is why this mission was so important to Alex.

Alexander walked up to Philip Schuyler's bed a little nervously. Nothing could have prepared him for the conversation he was about to have with his girlfriend's dying father. It reminded him of when he was ten and holding onto his mother as she breathed her final breaths.

"Sir," he said,  "I'd like to talk to you about your daughter. I love her so much that it scares me. She's the most incredible woman I know and my best friend. She makes me a better person, and I hope that somehow I help her be more perfect than she already is. I know we're merely eighteen, but I need to ask you for your blessing to make her my wife. I know how important it is to her, and I want to make sure that I have it, even if it will be a few years before I actually ask."

Philip Schuyler smiled, the first in days, and replied, "I have never seen Eliza happier than when she's with you. Believe me when I say that you bring out her best qualities. Of course you have my blessing. You're already family to us."

It was as if a giant load had been taken off Alexander's shoulders. He heaved a heavy sigh of relief before saying, "Thank you, Sir, I promise I'll take care of her forever."

Tears stung at both Philip and Alexander's eyes. Philip was incredibly happy for his daughter finding the man whom she loved, and regretted that he wouldn't be able to be there for her special day. Alexander couldn't believe he got her father's blessing.

After a few moments, Alexander pulled out his phone and brought up a few pictures. "I've, uh, been looking at a few styles. Obviously I can't afford one yet, but I'm sure she would love your input on a style."

Philip swiped through the photos of rings, finally deciding upon a lovely pear shaped diamond. "Something like this one would look nice. Simple but stunning, just like her."

Alexander's lips tugged up into a smile. "That's the style I was looking at too. That's the style I will get when the time comes," he decided.

He left the hospital with an all too bittersweet feeling. His heart ached that his girlfriend was losing her father. That this conversation had to happen years before he even got to ask Eliza to be his wife. But he also left hopeful and excited for their future.

Philip Schuyler did pass away eight days later.

Five years later, Eliza and Alexander were walking back to their apartment, both wearing the silliest grin. Eliza couldn't stop looking at her new, sparkling engagement ring as it sat on her finger. She toyed with the band, which was engraved with their initials, and moved her hand so that the light caught the pear shaped diamond and made it sparkle differently.

"I can't believe it!" she said. "We're really getting married!" He kissed her forehead and pulled her into his arms. He picked up her left hand and placed his lips right under her ring and then on her knuckles.

As Eliza's mind starting racing with excitement, she thought of all her childhood dreams for the special day. Suddenly her face fell.

"What's wrong, baby?" Alexander asked, tipping his fiancée's chin up to look into her sad eyes.

"Nothing," she shooed the conversation. All it took was one simple look from Alexander to prompt her to really spill what was on her mind. "I just wish my dad was here, especially to give me away. Everything will be as perfect as I imagined since I'm marrying you, except my dad won't be here to walk me down the aisle, or give me away, or dance with me at the reception--" Tears began to well up in Eliza's eyes.

Alexander pulled Eliza into his arms and let her cry into his chest. That's when he remembered the day back in the hospital all those years ago.

"I hate to let go of you, but I have something that you might like." He walked to his dresser and pulled out a piece of paper that was addressed to his Eliza. He wiped the tears away from his fiancée's cheeks and kissed her cheekbone. He handed her the paper.

"What is this?" she whispered, rubbing her eyes from crying.

"Go ahead and read it."

Eliza,

When you have received this letter, you will be engaged to Alexander. I love you, and I already miss you.

I'm writing this to tell you how proud I am of you, and how thankful I am that you have found someone as wonderful as Alexander to love you for the rest of your life. You may be wondering how I know. Alexander came and asked for my blessing, and I gave it to him. He wanted to make sure he had my approval no matter what. He knew how important my blessing was to you.

I will also let you know that Alexander showed me the rings he was looking at for you, and that I helped pick yours out just for you. The diamond reminded me of the sparkle in your eyes, especially when you were younger. I'm confident that you will look beautiful whenever the wedding day comes, and I will be walking with you and dancing with you in your heart.

I love you,

Papa

By the time Eliza finished the letter she was in tears again, except this time, it was happy tears. Through muffled tears Eliza said, "Thank you." He pulled her close again. "This is the best thing anyone could do for me—it is the best thing anyone has done for me."

"I love you, Betsey."

"I love you, too, my sweet, wonderful, soon-to-be husband."