"Do you think it's possible that mommy might be pregnant?"

As always, like and comment! And suggestions always welcomed!

Prompt found on Pinterest

...

"Do you think it's possible that Mommy might be pregnant?"

Eliza paced around her bathroom, waiting for her timer to go off. Four-year-old Philip Hamilton was in the master bedroom, messing with his trains he carried in from his own room, making them crash together and fall of their "tracks".

Beep beep beep.

She sucked in a breath as she looked at the pregnancy test, reading that it was faint possible positive. "Oh my God." She covered her mouth with one hand, hoping that what she was seeing was true.

Eliza walked out to her son, who smiled big at the sight of his mama.

"Mama!" he smiled, dropping the trains. He noticed the tears welling up in her eyes and assumed it was bad. "Mama, don't cryyyy," he dragged out the last word, clinging onto her leg, hugging it, and looking up with doe eyes.

She laughed and set the test down on the dresser. She picked up Philip, balancing him on her hip and kissing his cheek over and over. "It's happy crying, Pip. Gosh, you're too sweet, like your papa."

He nudged his way to her neck, tucking it ever so lightly into the crook of her neck. All she could think about was when he was a baby and how excited she was that she might get to do this again with a new little baby. First smiles, first words, first time walking... all of it!

She smiled remembering the first time Philip had said "papa" and how excited her husband had been.

It was a cool September morning, a morning no different than others except that Alexander was feeling incredibly sick. On such a busy day at that. He had his first ever self-led meeting and papers upon papers.

"I have to go, Eliza," he protested with a scratchy throat, his voice almost gone from impending laryngitis.

She rolled her eyes. "I'm not telling you whether you should go or not. I'm just saying you shouldn't talk so much until you need to for your meeting." She poured some lemon tea into a thermos for him, knowing how much it would help him despite how much he despised tea. "Can you get Pip a bottle?"

He nodded, finding what he needed, picking the seven-month old boy up to feed him. Philip grinned widely at his papa and shrieked his first ever clear, "Papa!" and giggled bubbly, then reaching for the bottle.

Alexander's jaw dropped, then quickly transformed into a smile that mocked the one his seven-month old son had just given. "Eliza did you hear that?!" He was so giddy, nearly unable to contain his joy. "Say it again, Pip! Who am I?"

"Papaaaa," he said once more, still laughing cutely like every baby does when giggling.

"That's it," Alexander decided. "It's like he knew I needed that, Eliza." He grabbed the thermos (probably expecting it to be coffee) and his work bag, not forgetting to kiss his wife and son on the cheek, before heading off to work, that silly smile still plastered on his face.

"Pip," Eliza said after a few moments, "Do you think it's possible that Mommy might be pregnant?" she finally said out loud. Wow, did it feel good to say out loud too. When she noticed his face scrunch up, clearly not understanding the question, she added, "Do you think Mama might have a baby in her tummy?"

"Ohhh," he realized. "Of course, mama," he said matter-of-factly. "I told Auntie Peggy that I have a baby sister and even though she said that I didn't, I told her that I do. She was lying to me, mama, and you said it's not good to lie."

What an intuitive little boy the bugger was. She laughed slightly at how Philip called his aunt a liar, making note that she needed to tell her that, and that in fact she was wrong if Eliza was reading the test correctly.

A few minutes later, she took a second test, this time a digital one, that confirmed that she was indeed pregnant. She immediately went to Amazon to find a cute shirt for Philip, a perfect way to tell her husband that they were having another baby.

It wasn't two days later, when he returned from his business trip, that she told him.

As soon as Philip heard the door begin to open, he ran out to greet his dad in his new 'I'm going to be a big brother' shirt.

"Papa!"

"Pip!"

The two collided in a giant bear hug that lifted Philip off of the ground and into Alexander's arms. Alexander began tickling the four-year-old, tipping him upside down and holding on tight.

"Papa, no!" he giggled, trying to squirm his way back upside right. "Stop tickling!" he barely got out, too busy trying to catch his breath.

Alexander finally let him back up the right way, holding him in one arm and rolling his suitcase in the other. "Were you a good boy for mama and aunties?" Alexander asked his son, walking further into the living room.

"Mhmmm! I was reaaaally good!"

Alexander looked back at his wife, who was actually nodding.

"It's surprising how good he can be when you're not influencing him," she joked before giving him a quick peck on the lips. "I missed you."

"I missed you, too. And the rugrat."

Sometimes it surprised Eliza how oblivious her genius husband could be. "I bought Pip a new shirt while you were gone. I hope that's okay."

"Of course it's okay, why wouldn't it be?" That's when he noticed the shirt on Philip, blaring the announcement front and center. "We're having another baby?" he asked as soon as he read it.

She nodded excitedly. "Surprise!"

"It's a girl," Philip added, not a hint of facetiousness in his tone.

"It's a girl?" Alexander questioned.

"We don't know for sure if it's a girl yet, Philip," Eliza explained as if it had been the hundredth time that day.

He shrugged, climbing down from his papa and running to his toy room.

"I'm so excited," Alexander finally said, pulling his wife into his arms. "I was secretly hoping it'd be soon."

"Me too," she agreed, snuggling into him.

And a short nine months later, it was a girl.