"I'm Pregnant"

I think we need some fluff after the last two chapters. This one is sickeningly sweet ;) Again, requests always welcome.

Also, thank you so much for 8k reads! Your reads and comments make my day!

...

"I'm Pregnant"

Eliza stood at the edge of the sink, waiting for her timer to go off. Her hands were shaking as she impatiently played with the rip in her jeans. If only that timer could go off now. She and her husband had been trying for a baby for ten months now, to no avail. Ten months of negative tests followed by disappointment and tears from Eliza, and words like, "It's okay, Liza, it'll happen when it happens," from Alex, who was equally disappointed, but he always tried to stay strong for Eliza. She hated to see him so upset, and stopped telling him when she took a test, today being no exception.

A few more minutes passed, and her alarm finally went off. She jumped at the sudden sound, but quickly got over it to check the test. Her hand began to shake again as she picked up the test, and she took a deep breath in before turning the test over to look at it.

Pregnant.

"Oh my God," she whispered tearfully, clasping her right hand over her mouth. She tried to hold back her tears, but it was impossible. Tears of joy, excitement, and disbelief were now flowing freely down her cheeks. "I'm pregnant... OH MY GOD, I'M PREGNANT!" She couldn't wait to tell her husband, who she knew was going to be elated.

Her racing thoughts were interrupted by a chime from her phone—one that belonged only to her husband. She quickly wiped away her tears as she pulled up his text. It was so hard to not just tell him then and there.

Ugh. Not even an hour into work and I already want to come home. Jefferson's going to make this such a long day. –A

She sighed as she thought of a response. She felt bad for him, but knew his day would be better once he got home and she told him the exciting news.

I love you. Try to be civil. I'll have a nice dinner ready for you when you get home and then you can forget about your day, all right? It'll be over quicker than you think, love. –E

Eliza knew that announcing her pregnancy would be the perfect way to make him happy after a bad day at work, so she got herself together and headed to Target to find a special way to tell him.

When she arrived at the store, she immediately headed to the baby aisle. Her eyes were quickly drawn to to a soft, fuzzy blanket with elephants all over it. She grabbed it and added it to her basket. She walked a little further down and saw a cute, white gender neutral onesie with the words "más besos, por favor" written in black. Knowing Alex's Puerto Rican heritage and that he'd get a kick out of it, she grabbed that as well. She then picked up a gift box, paid for everything, and went home to prepare dinner and her surprise for her husband.

Around five-thirty her husband arrived home, looking exhausted and defeated. Pieces from his ponytail had fallen out in front of his face, and small bags began to form under his eyes. "Eliza?" he called to the dining room as he walked to find her there setting out the lasagna dinner she had just finished, He took off his coat and hung it on the hanger in the corner of the dining room.

"Hi, darling." She smiled and made her way to his arms. She wrapped him in her arms and placed his head on her chest. "I know you've had a rough day, so I made you a nice dinner to get your mind off of it. I made lasagna—you're favorite." She kissed his forehead and ran her fingers through his ponytail.

He lifted his head up and looked at her with those eyes that made her fall every time. "Thank you, Betsey. I really don't deserve you."

She kissed his lips again quickly, content to be in his arms but too excited to wait any longer. She pulled away to grab the box in the living room.

"I also got you a little gift. I thought you could use a little something to make you feel better." He had followed her to the living room, her very presence making him feel better. She handed him the box, almost crying again from all the excitement and emotions.

He sighed, feeling grateful but still feeling undeserving. "Eliza, you didn't have to do this for me."

"Oh, hush, Alex. You'll love it."

He laughed and rolled his eyes, but continued to open it anyways, He pulled away at the tissue paper to reveal a piece of paper with Eliza's handwriting that read: "Hi, Daddy! I can't wait to meet you! I love you! Love, Baby Hamilton." On top of the paper under the message sat the positive pregnancy test, and under the paper was the blanket and onesie that she picked out earlier.

As soon as he read the note and saw the positive test, his eyes too began to water. They'd been trying for so long, and had so many heartbreaking results.

"Are you serious?" He looked up to Eliza and saw her crying too. She nodded excitedly, and that was all Alexander needed to allow his tears to have free reign over him. He didn't let it happen often, but he was so uncontrollably and incandescently happy.

Eliza wiped away his tears with the pads of her thumbs, grabbing ahold of his face gently. Her thumbs moved across his cheeks lightly as she soaked in this beautiful, intimate moment. "You're going to be a daddy, Alex."

"I love you so much. I can't believe we're having a baby! I'm so excited, Betsey." For once, Alexander Hamilton was nearly speechless. He kept saying the same this over and over again, not being able to find the proper words.

Eliza smiled and pressed her lips to his in between words: "We," kiss, "finally," kiss, "did it." His arms wrapped around her body tightly, but still careful near her currently flat stomach. "Did you see everything in the box?"

He got too excited by the positive pregnancy test that he had forgotten to continue opening the present. Although he didn't want to, he pulled away to look at the two other gifts.

First he saw the onesie. He chuckled at the cute saying on it, baffled at how a human could actually be so small to fit into it. "Muy lindo, mi amor," he played at the Spanish phrase on the onesie, but also knowing how much Eliza loved it when he spoke in Spanish. She giggled softly, urging him to look at the blanket. He then pulled out the fuzzy blanket and traced his finger along one of the elephants. It made him emotional again to see that this was reality, and that their baby would be using this stuff soon.

He couldn't wipe the smile from his face for minutes, especially when he looked at his beautiful, glowing, pregnant wife—the mother of his growing child! Almost cautiously, he slowly reached his hand forward to touch her belly, despite there being no bump yet.

"Can you believe that I'm going to be huge soon? I can't wait," Eliza commented, content with the way his hands laid comfortably on her flat stomach.

He smiled and placed a kiss on her belly, causing Eliza to giggle quietly. "You're going to be the most beautiful pregnant woman I've ever seen."

Eliza rolled her eyes, but the smirk on her face gave away the fact that she was flattered. "Oh, hush, lover boy. Let's go eat before our food gets cold."

She put the box along with its contents off to the side for the moment, and grabbed her husband's hand as they walked to the dining room table.

As they began to chow down on the delicious lasagna, Alexander couldn't help but make a comment. "You know what, Eliza?" That was worth having a bad work day every day for the rest of my life. Thank you for carrying my baby. You're amazing."

All Eliza could do was smile as she watched her sweet husband beaming for the rest of the night, and that was enough for her.